Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#486929 01/21/09 04:38 PM
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
My daughter got a message on her cell phone, Which said "I'm gonna slice your throat, and your mothers throat."
Well thankfully there was a return phone number. Though it didn't
give us who actually made the call because the phone was a business phone that the public can use. It did tell us where it was made from. The call came from Tennessee My daughter and i live in Massachusetts. She is going thru a divorce, which is a nasty one. The father has the child. Well his brother is from TN. and can be the only one to call her. Someone made a threat to kill my daughter and myself. I'm trying to get her to turn it over to the cops or the FBI. {People can't threaten to kill people , its against the law isn't it}? I don't know what to do. and i'm scared for us both.

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Yes it is against the law.

We went thru this with Michael last year, a kid in his class thought it would be "funny" to threaten to rape him via text message.

Tell your daughter to save all such messages and go to the police immediately. She can get a restraining order, possibly get child custody and visitation withdrawn (from him I mean), and looko into pressing assault charges.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Should i get a restraining order also.?

Rosie L
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
I'M the mother and he said he was gonna slice my throat also, both her and me. so this was part of the above post.

Rosie L
B
Shark
Shark
B
Go to the police, I wouldn't take a threat like that lightly especially if your daughters going through a messy divorce.

The police i think would only give a restraining order if you can prove who it is. Either way talk to the police so that it has been documented and take it from there!

"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to all of you.

Rosie L
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Check the laws in your state though. I was told by a policeman that it is not against the law to make a verbal threat. Has to do something with freedom of speech or such nonsense.

If the threats continue, it can be deemed as harassment. Like you said anyone could have made the call and for all you know they may have even dialed the wrong number and it is coincidence that they got your daughter's cell as she is going through a messy divorce.

Tell her to keep the message and the number though because if it continues then you will have records of it.

The officer told me that a threat is only against the law if you are threatened while someone is brandishing a weapon of some sort. Other than that, it is just talk.

However, the law may vary from state to state and if your daughter has a divorce attorney, make sure he sees the message and the number too.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Vance,

Rosie L
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
You are welcome. I learned that stuff while I was a mall cop like Paul Blart. Surprisingly, most of the police officers were very cordial with us. Others could care less if we were there or not. But I've never had any bad experiences...just saying.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Thats cool, my son was a security guard when he was younger, and was so proud, he did his job well. But he was frowned on by so many. Like his job wasn't important frown
Vance, i'm a little behind in time wink Mall cops, do yous carry guns?

Rosie L
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
No we dont carry guns. Depending on the laws of the state that one is in, we are not even allowed to carry handcuffs. In NYS we are not allowed to even "arrest" people. Each store in the mall is responsible for its own security and if they have a shoplifter, we can only go there as protection for the tenants and customers of the store.

If the person leaves the store, we cannot even detain them. We can only follow them and write down information about them and take down the license plate if they leave in a car and give that info to the police when they arrive.

Technically, we are there just as a show of security for the customers, to look out for fire and safety hazards and assisst emergency services where possible.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Up date:(7yrs later)
The guy was related to my daughters x husband And he since died and the husband died also
Thank you all for your support in the time of need (The police were called )

Rosie L
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.