logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a grandson who was born 6 weeks prematurely. He is now 13 weeks old. His "corrected age" is 7 weeks. He did not have any complications after birth. I am wondering if I should be concerned about his delayed development. He isn't really doing the things that a 7 week old "should" be doing. I realize all children develop at different stages but even looking at his corrected age he seems to be developmentally slow. I suppose he could be "slow" even with taking into consideration his corrected age because he was a preemie. I know that most preemies catch up by age 2. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I'd suggest going to babycenter.com for the week to week developmental descriptions. I think you'll see a lot of leeway and what you can do to help baby learn.

I'm carefully watching the timeline, too. My newest grandson was born October 17th and is 5 weeks, 3 days premature.

A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the website. I'll definitely give it a look. Ours was born Oct. 23rd. smile How's yours doing?

A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Susan,
The website is awesome. Thank you so much for recommending it.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Yes, I like that site, too!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Babies have such different developmental curves, we spend a lot of time stressing ourselves out for nothing. First, I'd say that's it's sometimes hard to remember that the milestones are often later than we remember them to be. For a while, I was concerned that my almost 2-year old wasn't seeming to "get" colors, even though she could name shapes and even some letters and numbers. I worried because I wondered if there could be some colorblindness issues. But when I looked into it, the literature explained that colors were more conceptually difficult and were only a concern after THREE! Now at 2 yrs and 2 months she's totally got it and I was worried for nothing.

The time frames that actually constitute developmental delay, as opposed to normal variation, are generally WAY later than we think they would be, and pediatricians are on the watch for this stuff, especially for preemies.

I think something else worth pointing out is that grandparents need to stay sensitive to the fact that parents are already stressed and on top of this stuff, and that as tempting as it is to get into it, your job is simply to be encouraging and supportive. My first daughter was a slow weight gainer and infrequent pooper, and when older late to potty train. One set of grandparents were calling us constantly wanting to know what went on in pediatrician appts., what we were going to "do" about it, and constantly telling us she was not normal (which wasn't even right). They went so far as to tell my husband I was endangering our baby by breastfeeding her. Needless to say, they were wrong on all counts, but we were already stressed out enough over this stuff, had a great pediatrician and our relationship with those grandparents still suffers to this day. So I would gently encourage you to work out those worries with a friend, and not with your son and daughter -- with them, just be an ear to talk to about THEIR concerns... and if they aren't concerned, let it be. As long as they have appropriate professional guidance, trust it and trust them.

Please accept this in the spirit it was intended...as a parent who has been there, not as a "scolding." I think it's great when grandparents are really interested in their grandkids' lives and well-being, but it's hard (I imagine) to switch parenting mode off, and grandparenting mode on. :-)

Warmly,

Nicki :-)

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I just had to pop in here - to reinforce the vast differences that children experience as they develop. While a preemie may be at greater risk for developmental delays, being born early does not ensure that they will be delayed. And, again - as Nicki said - the definition of delayed is so vast.

I have cousin (who is now 22 years old) who was born in the month of May. Her due date was in September. At the time of her birth, they told her parents she would not make it and they did "not do anything for her". But, in the morning she was still fighting so they flew her to Denver Children's Hospital (she was born in Boulder). They had to invent things to help her because they did not yet exist.

Today, she is an amazing woman with such great spirit. When people ask if anything is "wrong with her", I joke that she's not such a great speller.

Whenever I hear stories now of delays or premature births, I hold hope because I know that possibilities exist. They may be rare - as in my cousin's case - but they still exist!

I hope you are both able to enjoy watching the growth and development of your grandchildren with few worries!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
M
M
It is very nice thing.I have also some different point of view about this.Can you please share something more over here.It is much important for me.

Moderated by  Nicki - BF & EC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.