Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#486425 01/20/09 12:32 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am making standard pillar mold candles. I don't usually melt enough wax in one sitting to fill the entire pillar from top to bottom. So I fill it part way, then melt more wax, then fill it the rest of the way.

I get these very obvious seams as a result. Any techniques to have it not make these strong seams? Or do I just have to melt a giant amount of wax all at once and pour it in all at once?

In this bottom image the candle on the far left was actually done with one pour and it did come out smooth and seamless.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Melting a larger batch of wax at once would be an easier task. But if you don't have a large enough double boiler for a particular candle mold then just do what I do sometimes. Melt your first batch of wax and transfer it to a container maintained at that particular wax pouring temperature. Be sure to monitor wax temperature. Then melt your remaining wax and combine the two batches, color, scent and pour for a seamless single pour.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I only have one crock pot so I only have one place to make the wax melt or to keep it warm. I don't have anywhere else to keep the wax at 200F or whatever temperature it is at smile Maybe I'm just stuck with seams then ...

Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Lisa, what is the boiling or fire point for wax?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It appears most of them are in the high 300s F, but some can be lower. None of them are as low as 212F which is why keeping the wax in a bath of boiling water makes it safe - the water never goes over 212F and therefore the wax can't get hotter than that!

The problem with wax is that you can't really tell when it is about to explode. It looks fine and molten and then it suddenly explodes. There are several horror stories on the web. So you really want to be absolutely sure you keep it down in that 212F or lower range.

Low Carb Forum
Well you may have other options.
1)When I first started making candles there were some plastic temperature resistant bags I used to melt my wax. These were specifically made for melting wax. Transfer your melted wax into this bag and place it in a pot of hot water to maintain it's temperature while you melt your additional wax. One problem is it may be a bit messy during the transfer.
2)I have an old electric turkey roaster that has it's own temperature control. It used to roast a 25 pound turkey. Now it holds my wax. I just ladle my wax into my pouring pots. I bought it at a Goodwill store for $5.00.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The turkey roaster sounds like a crockpot - is it about the same?

Low Carb Forum
Yes it is similar but has a larger capacity. Also the better ones have a more accurate temperature control. Temperature is easy to maintain and keep track of with your candle making thermometer.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I now have 3 or 4 candles which are "used up" but still have wax yet, as in the wick is gone but there are still "candle edges" to do something with. So I'll let you know if I have seam problems with this set!

Low Carb Forum
Make sure the melted wax is combined well by stirring once completely melted. Making a more homogeneous blend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.