#484482 01/13/09 08:39 AM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
My problem is that I've tried to set up to-do folders, to put things away until I work on them. The problem is, if it's not right in front of me, I forget about it, which is one reason I keep SO much paper on my desk.
Any suggestions for the out of sight, out of mind dilemma?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: Dianne_Unemployment

Any suggestions for the out of sight, out of mind dilemma?

At work I make a notation on my calendar that something needs to be done (it could be 1 week or 8 weeks or more into the future). I put the paper in the file until I need it.

I keep only those papers that I need this week in a neat pile. They are sorted into categories - meetings to set; bills to pay; etc.

There are sorters that are available either alphabetical or date to help you keep things straight too.

One of my favorite cartoons was a Plugger cartoon where the filing system was in huge piles and there were papers sticking out. The Plugger knows exactly where the right paper is at the right moment. I could really relate to that.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Yes definitely I highly agree with scheduling time to work on certain things. Keep the papers AWAY until you have to work on them - that way your actual work area is not cluttered. But then set a reminder so that at time X you take out the certain folder and go through it. Bills or whatever.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I've tried putting everything away in files...just knowing (or thinking I know) that I will pull them out to work on them later...totally forget about them.
For example, I found out last week that I do not have beneficiaries listed for my life insurance at work. (I don't EVEN know how that happened) So I filled out the information and printed it, stuck it in a folder to go get it notarized...that was LAST Friday...today, Weds. I opened up the folder and there it was totally forgot about it.
I try to make lists, but I'm always thinking that I just make a list to show that I've actually done something. If it's sloppy, then I feel compelled to re-write it, so it's no longer about the tasks, it's more about a neat list.
Fortunately I keep my flashdrive on my key chain so it always reminds me to write my Bella articles.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I send myself an email either to work if I'm at home or to home if I'm at work with a reminder to do something that has become a priority. I'm notorious for knowing something needs to be done but before I can it done something else takes precedence.

I remember when we were kids, we tied a string to our finger as a reminder that something or other needed our attention and not to forget it.

Rewrite your todo list every day and omit what has been done. That way, your list can be neat and revised and you have a sense of accomplishment.

D
D
This is definately me. I really am going to try the e-mail reminder. We will all see that, right, as soon as we open our e-mails. I think I might put my daily list on there. Good place to find it!!!! I also like the pile for this week!! That keeps it visual but not overwhelming. Or use a holder for one weeks work. I have also not been good with personal organizers or calendars. I just found this sight and I am excited.

Daisy Mae, welcome to the forum, We hope that you enjoy your stay! wink
Rosie

Rosie L
Gecko
Gecko
How about a spread sheet.
1 To Do List and when completed move it to
2 Done and completed list (also serves as a good reference if needed cause you can add notes for things needed to be done again in the future) ................You can still set up folders but this will save you from going into each folder to see what to do.

A quick visual to scan and faster.

Last edited by rdywenur; 01/19/09 12:32 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Definitely you always need an up to date to-do list you can rely on so you keep track of your tasks. If you just try to "remember" them you will forget things.

Many books recommend rewriting the list daily, so that you have a fresh start for that day. Also the process of rewriting helps resolidify in your mind what you will be working on.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
It's just about 1:30 am and I'm cleaning out yet another closet. 2009 is starting as a very productive year. I'm finding the most amazing paperwork for projects that I started years ago...this is SO funny, the out of sight out of mind concept is definitely in the forefront tonight.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.