logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Bad news for Britney could equal good news for kids in spec. ed.

Britney is having 2nd son tested for autism according to

www.hollyscoop.com

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Koala
Koala
B
I do not see how Britney Spears could be a positive role model or influence for children in special education or those with autism.

I live in Los Angeles, both my sons are on the spectrum and I have been writing about autism here for three years.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
M
M
|Correct me if i'm wrong...but jenny McCarthy has a son with autism and was cured??? From what I know there is NO cure for autism but there are a lot of new teaching resources to improve communication, social and behaviour skills.

M
M
I'm a special education teacher. I have a big problem when parents hear on TV "autism is now cured" or "autistic child speaks". The students in our school are mostly autistic but very low functioning, non-verbal, not toilet trained, no sense of danger and have major autistic tendencies (tip toe, fixated with fingers, spinnig) these parents come to me and tell me to "fix their child, like Jenny McCarthy". First of all , we are a public school system not a clinical school. Parents get upset that we don't have a speech language pathologist and an Occupational Therapist with their son/daughter 24/7. First of all, the OT and the SLP are there for the teacher NOT the parent. They give us programming recomendations for the curriculum NOT one to one therapy. IT's great to hear the advances with some autistic children but I think it's time to tell the parents that the children that are able to start talking are HIGHER functioning with a higher percentile. Our students are dual diagnosed (i.e., ASD & Developmentally Disabled) and it's hard when parent watch TV and ask us teacher to perform miracles. Our school system is not the greatest I have a class with 8 boys all Autistic and one Educational Assistant with one Special Needs Assistant who is assigned to one student only. So my ration is 3.5:1 all ASD children are different and mine are really LOW functioning. I'am lucky if i have time to spend 30minutes with one child once a week. Parents should begin to understand that school are schools not clinic that provide therapy.

B
Koala
Koala
B
I have two boys on the autism spectrum and agree about Jenny McCarthy and also Autism Speaks doing a disservice to the community.

Beware that Jenny has another book coming out in April to coincide with autism awareness month. We need to promote other new books that month.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site

Moderated by  Celestine - Special Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.