Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#481548 01/03/09 10:33 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
As the interest in body art moves more and more into the mainstream, there are more stories about friction over age limits. Whose fault is it when a minor gets pierced or tattooed?

Read the article and then tell us what you think!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Rae, Good Topic !!! Well here is my 2 cents worth, as a Mother of 2 boys, one being let's just say interesting (the older one) I would have to weigh in here and say if the ID was fake then it would be the fake ID user who is initially breaking the law. He did look much older than he was when he was 16 so unless you were an ID expert (he never used a fake ID) most would of not questioned him. BUT I always went with him for piercings until he was 18, because if he had his mind set on getting a tattoo he would of found a way to get one. Fortunately because I did go with him for piercings, they knew WHEN he would be 18 so that sort of gave me a guarantee that they would not tattoo him until then. Of course I let him "earn" a piercing by either doing well in school, a good report card, etc., which I am sure some people think is not a smart parent move because we all parent differently. The younger one got his ear pierced at 8, his big brother paid for it and yes I went and gave my consent. For me I think there are much worse things that my kids could be doing so wanting a piercing, blue hair is fine, the tattoo's I will not give in on because obviously they want a really cool something at 13 and they change their mind by 18.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My son is 17, and is considering getting a cross tattoo on hios arm. We have actually already gone through the process of doing the hennah ink so he can see whether he like it or not.

I have noe presonal problems with tattoos. I would love to get one myself, if it were not for the money issue - I even have my art drawn out..

So if Michael wants to get it done when he turns 18, and he has the money, I don't intend on stopping him. I DO intend on guiding him to a reputable artitist however. And encourageing him to get ink that can be easily covered by clothing in case of job interviews later in life. These are just practical things to keep in mind.

I think as long as I don't say flat out "NO" without a reason to back it up, my kids are willing to listen to reason. They know that I don't forbid them stuff just becuse I'm being "mean".

This is just another one of those areas, like drugs and sex, where having an open line of communication with your child really comes in handy.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
If there's one email I get frequently and for which I have to write back and say "I can't help you and you should just wait until you turn 18" it's emails where I'm asked for advice on how to convince parents to let a minor get tattooed or pierced.

I didn't get my first tattoo until I was 21 because I wanted to be really sure I could make a decision I could live with for the rest of my life.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I'll tell you my 24 year old was in the Marine Corp and got his first tattoo while he was off on his own being a hard corp Marine, when he came to visit me one time, he had done something really odd with the sleeve of his shirt. When the sleeve lifted a little I saw the bottom of the tattoo first. It was funny at his age, he was still trying to hide his tattoo from me. After "yelling at him" mostly in fun, he now proudly sports his tattoo.
My ex, who is in his 40's. Suddenly started getting tattoos about 3 years ago. In three years he has a huge one on his back, he has one on his arm, one on his left chest and one on his shin. He went his whole life without tattoos and suddenly couldn't seem to put enough on his body. HIS mom is still fussing about them...the dude is over 40....lol...
My 16 year old daughter seems to think she needs one on the lower half of her back...hecky no...I want her to wait until she is over 18 (21 would be better)...I have no logic for this, other then making sure it's something she wants to do because it will be with her the rest of her life, most likely...and she may eventually get a job where visible tattoos are not allowed.
If she still wants one then...I'm fine with it.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
K
K
I was 31 when I got my first tattoo, and just a couple of months ago got #2. I had to wait until I turned 18 to get my ears pierced for a second time - my parents were dead-set against it. I can only imagine how they would have reacted to a tattoo or the piercings kids are getting today. I would probably still be grounded to this day! LOL! And I'm not to far from being 40 years old! Oh my mom snarled her nose at me when she found out I had a tattoo, she didn't speak to my sister for a month after she found out about hers! We were in out 30's and well over the age limit for getting inked! I think if a kid uses a fake ID, then they should be held accountable for using it. Sure it will make the parents mad, but the kid willingly used a fake ID to obtain something they wouldn't have been able to get otherwise. As far as the artists who are turning a blind eye, they should be held accountable for their actions - kids shouldn't be tattooed or get body piercings until they are of legal age. I also know that kids now days look a lot older than we did when we were 18. Of course if a parent approves and goes with the kid to a shop, I do not have a problem with it. That is the parents choice to support the kids decision - I see nothing wrong with that. Their kid, their business.

K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I got my first tattoo when I was 16. Its a horrible smudge of a dragon now and I'm in the process of removing it. My first tattoo is quite small but I have recently gotten a couple of other tattoos at the age of 30. I'm glad I waited because I made the adult, conscious decision to get something that I would want on me forever. I strongly believe that the one I got earlier was a huge mistake and now a costly, painful mistake to get removed. With that said, I understand the laws about minor's getting tattoos. They are not mature enough and do not have enough life experience to judge how they will feel about their body art 10 years from now and it could end up being a horrible mistake.

S
S
I was almost 37 when I got my first tattoo - a ring on my wedding finger with my (then) husband's initials on top. The first shop I called flatly refused to do it, because 'people who ink their hands usually regret it later.' I simply couldn't understand that, since I'd been thinking about it for years, was an adult and could make my own decisions. Since they refused, I found another wonderful artist who did it for me without question. I'm currently in the middle of a divorce from the man I was married to at the time, but I still don't regret it. He helped me have three amazing boys, and I'll always care at least a little bit for him. My oldest son was 19 when he got his first tattoo, and I went with him. It was beautifully done by an artist I know well. My son is 25 now and is still trying to figure out his next one. My middle son (21) is in the Army, getting ready to deploy to Iraq in March, and is also considering ink. I'll support him in whatever he decides, and because he knows that ink is forever, is taking his time on deciding exactly what to have done. My youngest, who is 15, has been wanting a tattoo for years. In Wyoming there's a law that says you must be 18 for ink, 21 for cartilage piercing. This seems backwards to me. In any event, I've counselled the youngest the same way I have the older two - think long and hard about what you're getting, because you'll have to live with it. Yes, there are removal options, but what a waste of money! LOL Ink is one of the ways I express myself. Every one of my tattoos have special meaning for me, as will the next one. I'm not likely to get something that will be seen on 20 other people. They're all very personal for me.

Last edited by Sioux; 12/16/09 11:07 PM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I must be the late bloomer here...I never wanted a tatoo until recently. BTW, I'll be 65 in October. Funny thing, my two boys have very different opinions. The older one is having a fit that I'm going to have one and he's the one that hated the fact that I dyed my hair for years. The younger one seems nonchalant about it. Not sure if he is, or just won't express his true feeling. Be that as it may, I've been introduced to the cleanest body modification parlor I've ever seen Stiehl's body Modification I went there with my sister in law a couple years ago (she lives in Ithaca) and decided that's where I'm getting my second ear piercing done and a tatoo. One of the artists took my idea and made a gorgeous artistic rendition that I'm going to have done. Money is an issue right now since the place is 5 hours from me so I have to include the cost of travel, and lodging as well at the art work. (Can't stay at my sister in laws....I'm afraid of her big dog.) I've already purchased my black diamonds for the second ear piercing so as soon as I get my tax return in 2011, I'm on the road to Ithaca and my tatoo and piercing.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
R
R
I don't think most people 18 really know what they want. A tattoo is a lifetime commitment. Forget about the hype surrounding tattoo removals, no removal method is 100%. Your skin will never look the way it did before the tattoo. My first tattoo was at 26, was buried long ago, under a cover-up. Thank goodness I found a real artist the second time around. Wait until you really know yourself and what you want, before possibly making a poor choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.