#483632 01/09/09 08:37 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I have a degree, but I still take classes occassionally. Being a divorced/single mom, it's easier to take classes online than going to sit in a class for 3-4 hours. I just wish they offered a discount on online classes :-)
I do find, however, that it's good for the kids to see me studying too.
Not all classes are great to take via distance learning. I took an accounting class on-line, I passed it but for a class like that I probably would have done better instructor led. I took an organizational course on-line - mostly reading and writing papers, that was a lot easier.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Dianne,
One of the down sides to distance learning is that the material may at times be hard to digest. I have had to retake a course recently in psychology on tests and measurements and learning about the many (and there are a lot) tests available, how to assess results, and everything involved with administering, scoring, understanding them was difficult the first time around. And this time (I have 5 weeks left) its not any easier.

I found that my children are impressed when Im deep in study and they come in and do their homework (after snack) however, my day stops for 4 hours when they get home (dinner, helping with their homework, going over their day at school) it can get rough and tiresome.

All I can say is take breaks when you need them but by all means do not quit. Even if you do poorly or the class is hard to take without being in a class I still believe that you learned what your limitations are. And when we find out our limitations it allows us to better approach and reach goals in life or education.
Sanita

Sanita Salter, DistLearning Editor
Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I love online education. I took many classes at www.foothill.edu - and still continue to take them. I've now obtained a masters and am thinking of getting my PhD..

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Distance learning is particularly good for online writing courses (no complicated practicals lol)

Writers can improve skills,learn English or even re-train in a different writers market altogether. If money was no object I would take loads of classes!

I've even put some videos and tips on my writers coaching site!

I'm in the process of completing a Web Design certificate via online education. Prior to that I was completing my multimedia diploma but due to the structure of the course I found it too difficult and the stress it was causing me just wasn't healthy. I am much more comfortable with my new course and they have even allowed me to sit in on some evening classes so I can get a small amount of face to face interaction too :) It is extremely difficult to stay motivated and can be a very huge and difficult learning curve but is well worth the sense of achievment for sure. I find it hard trying to juggle the kids, husband, housework, my business and study!! Some weeks I feel burnt out but I keep going because I look forward to the outcome. I think it's amazing that these days we have so many options to study online. It opens doors that just weren't there before :)

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I tried doing an online degree about 10 years ago when it was very brand new and had all sorts of problems with their interface and system. I ended up giving up. I keep thinking about trying again, but there is too much other stuff on my plate right now. Sometime if other areas calm down, I may consider it worthy enough to make time for.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I am currently in the middle of getting my associates degree online. I'll be finished officially November 29, 2009. If I had to go to a ground school it would never have been possible. Lisa, many things have changed for online schools in the last 10 years. Even Phoenix, the one I go to, has made many changes just since I started last February. It's getting more user friendly all the time. One of my co workers and one of my dispatchers earned their degrees from Phoenix, and I've got a friend of mine, who is a driver for the same company I drive for, going now too. There are difficulties going online that aren't experienced in ground school, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages many times. Sure, I've had instructors that were as cold as ice, but I've had many more that are open to phone calls to help me, and give 100% support.
One thing to make sure of when you decide what school to attend online... Make sure they are accredited. That's an important factor when sporting your degree for a job.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I've taken online classes too - Virtual University offers mini classes for CEUs but I did take some classes towards a certificate in genealogical librarianship at the National Institute for Genealogical Studies associated with the University of Toronto. I have taken freebee classes too from other sites. I thoroughly enjoy learning about new things on my own schedule.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I have taken a few classes on line, and will be going full time in the fall to the University of Alabama online. Hopefully the technology works well and I can keep up!

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
You must discipline yourself and schedule time to do the work. The beauty is not having to commute to a class room. However, there is still the need to set time aside to read the lessons and do the homework, just as if you were entering into a classroom. Utilizing the chat or forum is important too. A lot of people are getting their degree online. Keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.