Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#482622 01/06/09 09:20 PM
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Hello Everyone! I am the new Writing for Children Editor. I look forward to chatting with you about your writing career.

I�m updating my reading list and am always looking for a good children�s book to read. What was the last children�s book you read and do you recommend it?

Lucinda Moriarty

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hello and welcome!
Right now the only reading for children I do is reading and re-reading the book I am in the throes of editing/re-writing/tweaking. Hope to be agent (or publisher or contest) shopping it by Feb.
So I frequently consult the "Children's Writer's Word Book" and "CWIM" too.

HeyYou
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hi Lucinda and welcome. I read as often as possible however, I don't read children's books much anymore as all of my children are grown.

Recently I reviewed a book on my site called Nana, can you hear me written by Jean Kenney. This is an excellent book to share with a child and it offers the opportunity to discuss hearing loss with them. Hope you get the chance to read it sometime.

Deborah Pipas, Disabilities Editor
Disabilities Website
Disabilities
M
M
Hi Lucinda. I just joined the forum, so I'm looking to engage in as much discussion as possible. Recently, I have been working on my own children's book, so that is what is taking much of my time. I do teach middle school English however, so I can say that I just finished teaching, The Pearl. This book changed my outlook on symbolism and theme in young adult literature. Though it may not be a children's book, I do believe it's one to read nonetheless.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Marissa, Welcome to the forum, We hope that you enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
M
M
Thanks Rosie! I'm hoping to learn a lot!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We are re-reading 'The Giggler Treatment' by Roddy Doyle - I wrote a short story for children as an ebook experiment - I just put my review of the experience on my Newbie Webwriters site:

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I just finished "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale (an novel length retelling of the Grimms fairytale) and "A Single Shard" by Linda Sue Park, and now I'm re-reading that classic "Indian in the Cupboard."

After writing a lot of non-fiction, I feel I need to read and study for good works for the language and prose. So very different. It's like shifting gears.

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I'm spending my weekends reading tons to make up for the lack of reading during the week when I write.

I just finished "The Giver" and it was interesting. I wonder if kids understood the whole message. And also, "Bloomability" which was so so, in my humble opinion. The author, Sharon Creech, wrote the award-winning "Walk Two Moons" which I did not read.

Any suggestions for more titles?

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
I just finished "The Tale of Despereaux" -- a Christmas gift -- which I enjoyed. On Tuesday I got "The Graveyard Book" and "Ballet Shoes" but not sure which I will tackle first. I'll confess that I did re-read "Sheep in a Jeep" just last night because I had a crummy day and that book always makes me laugh for some reason.

Lucinda Moriarty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  AM Farbizio, Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.