Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
I have always held issue that when approaching other denominations' fora, we are expected to at least learn something about theirs, or have some primary knowlege on the subject.
Not difficult, I grant you, given that the majority of Western Buddhists grew up in a Christian country, even if their home was not practising.
I feel it would be respectful therefore if other non-Buddhists were to venture into discussions on this forum having at least accumulated a little prior rudimentary Knowlege on Buddhist practice regarding the topic in question.

Wouldn't it be nice if they did a little homework before venturing to expound their own views on the matter?
Or is that being unrealistic and overly-demanding?
And if so, why?

The reason I am pressing this point is because as a frequenter on 5 other Buddhist Fora - this is a pre-requisite of any non-Buddhist participating.
Or at least their wishing to learn something, being a condition of their joining.
What's the point of entering into a discussion and not knowing something about it?

It's a bit like my attending an avionics conference, and having no knowlege on the subject, but giving my experiences of flying to Milan on holiday.
Very interesting, yes thanks - but - what's your point, with regard to avionics?

I see your point, and in future threads that I start I will be more specific in the questions asked. However, since in this one I invited non-Buddhists to comment on how they felt about rebirth OR reincarnation, all of the posts so far are on topic, and none seem to me to be disrespectful towards Buddhism.

I also belong to another Buddhist forum, as well as an interfaith one, and they vary in approach. Because of the broad nature of BellaOnline, I think the articles and forum will always attract a lot of non-Buddhists, which is different than many other Buddhist forums, which are associated with specific Buddhist sites or sanghas. I think in the future I will have threads that are oriented for Buddhists, and some open to all.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd
But my children don't even think about thee things! LOL!

You know, I really wonder if part of it is that with all the rage issues my oldest son has (the one with Asperger's) that I'm really scared there IS a "bad soul" inside him. When he goes into those Mr. Hyde type rages that seem like a different person from who he really is, it is almost like he is posessed. I know intellectually it is his disorder and other problems that have caused these things. But when I am staring my own child in the face as he is choking me? It is not so easy to think rationally.

Sorry -I really HAVE hijacked this thread! blush

Well, I did invite you to respond! But, I will try now to offer one Buddhist view on the matter:-)

My cousin was recently saying something very similar to me about her daughter, who has similar issues. I don't think of it in terms of good souls or bad souls (in terms of reincarnation) or even in terms of good karma or bad karma (in terms of rebirth). I know people often talk in those 'good' and 'bad' terms, but from my perspective most Buddhist teachings on the matter talk more in terms of momentums and energies that have carried forward from the past (cause and effect and all that), and they aren't intrinsically good or bad. They can each manifest as either good or bad in terms of the actions they lead to, but in and of themselves they are just energies, that can be channeled in any direction. So rage, for example, is a destructive manifestation of that kind of energy, but someone else might channel that same kind of energy into a creative or athletic achievement. This kind of transmutation of energies is central to Vajrayana or Tantric Buddism, which is more my background.

Which doesn't help you much with your son, I know, because Asperger's is another whole cup of tea. But I was just addressing the issue of fearing the rage was a sign of some latent badness, and this being part of your discomfort with the ideas of rebirth and reincarnation.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.