Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
From January Week 1 prompts article: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art7835.asp

List 5 things you aren't as proud of. The trick is to realize how these things translate into areas where you ARE proud.

The example I listed in the article was, "One thing I dislike about myself is my disorganization. However, one thing I like about myself and am proud of, is my ability to make anything fun and exciting, or get down on the floor and play with my kids."

We cannot all be all things. I am learning that the areas in my life where I feel the weakest, often serve to highlight areas in my life where I am stronger.

You?

Angela <><

Last edited by BellaOnline; 01/04/09 05:11 PM.

Angela England
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I tend to take on way too many projects and then I fall behind in them which I get upset about. I need to learn to take on fewer projects and do them well.

I can be completely clueless about how I phrase things, and then someone gets upset. I didn't mean to upset them, but I somehow said something wrong that they didn't like. I need to try to pay much more attention to what I'm saying it and how I'm saying it.

I don't put enough (or any) emphasis on my physical health. I know I should be trying to do yoga every day, working out more and I always put it off so I can do web work. I need to find more of a balance.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Balance? What is that? *laughing*

One thing I did last year which really helped me, was to pre-schedule a monthly massage. By setting that in my calender in advance I followed through and actually DID it. :-)

Angela <><

Angela England
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I came up with a few things - some are similar to yours,

� I regret not playing the piano at a recital when I was in elementary school.
- I regret not traveling more with my children when they were young.
- I take on too many hobbies or get involved in too many things that prevent me from giving 100%.
- My �to be read pile� is too high.
- I do not get enough exercise.

There are probably a lot of things in this life I am not proud of but I cannot think of them or perhaps I do not want to think about them.

Yes, balance, what is that? I love the massage idea. I tried getting manicures last year. That always made me feel good.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Good question, Angela.

I am not proud of my depression and social awkwardness. It doesn't matter that it's not my fault...I always expect better of myself, and then get extremely disappointed in me when I have low times or episodes. I let myself get really off track for a long time after when it happens.

I am not proud that I am not as outdoorsy as i crave to be since I got married. Hopefully my new life change will fix that and I can be the outdoorsy me i love so much again.

I am not proud that I start things with a lot of energy and enthusiasm and then peter out. I need to learn how to work with it, since it's not really going to change. Being aware of it is the first step, right?

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I am really enjoying the prompts so far, I'm actually learning a lot about myself in the process. I love to journal but I've never used prompts before so I made a journal just for these exercises and I love it so far.

- I'm not proud of how I maintain my health. I am a diabetic and I could do a lot better than what I do. I need to lose weight, exercise more, get enough rest, you name it, I could work harder at it.

- I'm not proud of how I let things deteriorate in my marriage. We are now divorced and though I don't regret making that decision in the end, it takes to two to tango and part of the problem was mine.

- I'm not proud of how I let other things come between me and what I really wanted to do with my life. I let worries about money and what people would think keep me from writing for a long time, but I'm on track now, and that's one of the things I'm proud of (smile).

- I'm not proud of my organizational skills. I wish I had a place for everything and everything was in it's place, but I suppose some people thrive in clutter lol...

- I'm not proud of my habit of procrastinating. If I can put it off I do sometimes, even though it would be much simpler to just get it done...

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Jilly
I am not proud of my depression and social awkwardness. It doesn't matter that it's not my fault...I always expect better of myself, and then get extremely disappointed in me when I have low times or episodes. I let myself get really off track for a long time after when it happens.

Jilly, I don't know if we are allowed to comment on others, so if i'm out of place, just tell me so.

But rather than focusing on your depression and social problems, maybe say that you are not proud of how you handle them.

To me, saying that you are not proud of your depression is like saying you are not proud of your cancer. Both are illnesses that are beyond your control. What IS in your control is whether you seek treatment (either through medication or counseling) that matters. In other words - don't beat yourself up over matters that are not under your control.

OK - now for me;
1. I am not proud of the fact that I avoid confrontation until I get to the point that I explode.
2. I am not proud of the fact that I let my husband take on so much while I hide because of my Depression.
3. I am not proud of the fact that I have gained back so much of my weight that I lost from my gastric bypass.
4. I am not proud of the fact that I have completely given up on physical therapy and exercise.
5. I am not proud of the fact that I hate my body, and I am scared it is going to rub off on my daughter one day.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Not proud of taking on too much because I can't seem to form the word "NO"...

Not proud of how I've gained weight, though it was not my fault due to surgery a year ago...

Not proud of trying too hard to appease people...

Not proud of being a drama queen too much....

Not proud of becoming a licensed landscaper by now...

Whewww...now I know what Charlie Brown feels like. And to think....I have at least five more things to not be proud of. Urghhhh. mad I hate this assignment but it helps so much.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Michele - I love that you noticed the way Jill had worded her post. Sometimes we are unecessarily harsh on ourselves and it helps to have a loving friend point that out.

You're right - saying "I'm not proud of my limp because I broke my ankle" is a bit harsh isn't it?

What amazes me is how we are all often plagued by these little voices in our heads telling us we aren't ______ enough.

I hope you all also did the list of 5 things you ARE proud of.

I am proud of you all for be willing to take a look and assess what needs some extra focus moving forward!

Angela <><

Angela England
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It seems a lot of us have issues with saying "no" to things we really know are not in our own best interests - and that we submerge concerns because it is easier than facing issues.

I know this is definitely true in my own life! Maybe this is something we can work on even in tiny ways to start smile The more you commit yourself fully to the things you DO want to do, the easier it gets to then say "I'm sorry but I am busy with xxxxxx" when something else tries to interfere.

Definitely post here when you have that sort of issue and we will all help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.