Next Thread
Print Thread
#479703 12/28/08 11:23 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Have you guys read or seen A Room With a View? Just what does Lucy see in Cecil anyway??

The way Daniel Day-Lewis plays Cecil, nobody in her right mind would marry him smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
F
Yes I've read the book and seen the lovely film with Daniel Day Lewis, Helena Bonham Carter and Julian Sands (not to leave out all the other wonderful actors in this version.) It's one of my most favorite books.
You ask what does Lucy see in Cecil? Not much, really, except a guaranteed successful future with an established aristocratic family and therefore a secure future for a woman in that day and age. Cecil is the man Lucy should want for a husband. Lucy tries with Cecil, she really does but there is nothing underneath his veneer. Cecil is a prig and a bore but she tries to let that go for the sake of what is expected of her. She knows in her heart he is not the right man for her but she feels she has no choice. Her family's future is uncertain, the Honeychurches are not of the upper classes nor do they have the background bred for high society but Cecil feels Lucy can be molded into what he wants. Lucy's mother is very much for the match. She, no doubt, had no choice either as to whom she married and sees in Cecil a grand opportunity to secure Lucy's future.
I was surprised at first when Lucy returns from Italy to announce her intent to marry Cecil. She sees no hope or future with the bohemian George, it's against all she's been taught. She must stand by her family and society's principles that she marry well.
---But how can she go against her heart-? (...I ranted when I first read the book--ha) But matters to do with the heart or with love mattered little in this Edwardian day and age. It was a matter of security and doing what society deemed best for young women. It took a lot of guts on Lucy's part to break off the engagement with Cecil; but after having a talk with George who tells her of Cecil's true nature about women, she decides she cannot go through with it and this is before knowing George will be there for her if she does so. Can anyone blame her for choosing George? No way! smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
At least in the book I got a tiny sense that she might enjoy some time with him - but in the movie version he was just AWFUL smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.