Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
A
Many Americans are turning into locavores -- eating only food that is grown 100 miles from their houses. Have any of you tried this? Where do you live, what do you eat, what tips do you have?

Aimee

Aimee Wood
Natural Living
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I live in Brooklyn and shop at the nearby grocery and health food stores. To be honest can't tell you where any of the food comes from--unless the package says "California grown" whatever.

But very intersting idea.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

A
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
A
Next time you are shopping, check to see where your food is grown or shipped from. I'm sure you will be amazed!

Aimee Wood
Natural Living
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I belong to an organic food coop which delivers a big bin of locally grown fruits and veggies twice a month. They aren't all from within 100 miles but they do all come from our state.

I like eating this way for health but also it helps our local farmers, as opposed to buying produce grown in other countries, where we can't be sure of their growing practices.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I am lucky enough to live in a fairly small city that has several outlets for locally grown food; a farmer's market on one side of town and a farm store on the other. I enjoy eating locally grown foods in season, somehow having to wait until June for strawberries makes them all the more delicious when they finally come! Right now the last of the various squashes are featured at my table, and the Michigan apples are plentiful. When the fresh things finally disappear I can turn to the sweet corn, beans, snap peas and roasted tomatoes that I froze last summer.

J
Koala
Koala
J
Aimee, you're right that it's a good idea to check labels to see where food comes from these days! You have a hard time finding grapes, for instance, that are grown in the US.

I check my fish too to see where it came from. Farmed fish is produced in polluted water and the fish are more likely to have viruses, etc-yuk. Plus it adds to the pollution of our oceans. I don't buy anything but wild caught anymore or anything from outside the US.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I like to shop at Walmart -- they have little sign next to each kind of produce that says where it's from.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I'm very lucky to live in a fairly rural area and we have actual farms around us. I like going to their little stores to help support them. The food is cheaper because there's no middle man, and the environmental impact is low because the food doesn't have to be shipped thousands of miles to me.

It's hard right now because it's snowy - I am very eagerly looking forward to another month or two when the spring crops start becoming available! I have the seeds ready to plant tomatoes and a few other things. I always start them WAY too early because I'm impatient so this year I'm waiting. I should start them soon though!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
A
Lisa,
Some northern places have winter markets -- root veggies and what not. I am in snowy upstate NY and every third Thursday our local market has its winter market.

You may want to look into something similar.
Aimee

Aimee Wood
Natural Living
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely will! I just finished Animal Vegetable Miracle last night and it was very good. It tells of a family who eat only local food for a solid year. I really want to head in that direction myself. I like international wines so that will have to be an exception for me smile I do drink a lot of local wine though!

The farm stand near us is definitely closed. I'll scout around though!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.