Next Thread
Print Thread
#474822 12/11/08 10:16 AM
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
San Francisco;
A daylong work stoppage during which employees were encouraged to "Call in Gay" to express support for same sex marrisge drew spotty participation nation wide Wednesday 12-10-08 with some gayrights activists praising the concept but questioning its effect.
In San Francisco's gay Castro district, Residents and merchants said they endorsed the message behind "Day Without a Gay" but didn't think a work stoppage was practical given the poor economy and the strikes organization.
"If we are going to make a huge impact and not be laughed at, then we have to take the time and make the time to communicate with all the parties. We could have shut down a lot of the hotels" said David Lang, a San Francisco gymnastics coach.
In theory it's a great idea, but it's being done wrong and now that it's been done wrong I don't think it will be done again.
The protest, which a gay couple from West Hollywood organized through the internet, was designed to demonstrate the economic clout of same sex marriage supporters following the passage of voter approved gay marriage bans in California, Arizona, and Florida last month.
Participants were asked to refrain from spending money or at least to patronize gay friendly business for the day.
Out and Equal Workplace Advocates, a San Francisco based nonprofit group that promotes equality for gay and lesbian employees suggested that gay marriage supporters could send an effective message beyond Wednesday by openly discussing the issue at their workplace.
When people go into the voting booth and vote against gay rights they often have no idea they are voting against the person next to them in the next cubicle or office,said Selisse Berry Out and Equal's executive director
Berry noted that only 20 states have laws to protect workers from being fired for being homosexual making lesbians and gays reluctant to reveal themselves to coworkers in most jurisdictions.
Constantly lying about our weekends at the water cooler or changing pronouns that takes up so much energy that we could be putting into our jobs
Participants who opted to take the day off from their jobs were encouraged to preform community service and charitable organizations across the country said volunteers showed up.

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
"Rosie" #474873 12/11/08 12:59 PM
Elephant
Elephant
I couldn't participate because I am essential at my job and it could have cost me that job. I am out and open at work and to my clients. I understand why these protests were done and fully support them. I had many friends who participated either by wearing white knot ribbons if they HAD to work, or went out and did community service.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #477595 12/21/08 09:28 PM
S
S
Thats such a fantastic idea!!!! It shows how, even if people don't want to value the gays as people, they at least have to acknowledge our economic value. its a starting point... and you can work from there.It also gets quite a strong point across and shows that you're not going to give in easy on this one

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.