Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C

Last week I flew from Jacksonville, FL, through Atlanta, GA, to Washington, DC.
Since I had a three hour layover in Atlanta, I asked the Delta agent in Atlanta if I could get on one of the two earlier flights to DC. She told me that although there was room, she could not put me on a flight since I had to fly with my luggage.
Okay. I understand that. We live in troubled times.
When I finally arrived in DC, I received a page to pick up my luggage at Delta's customer service counter. Why? My luggage arrived two hours ahead of me on the earlier flight I couldn't get on.
Apparently, people cannot fly without their luggage, but a piece of luggage can fly without its "person" if it is convenient for the airlines.
The Delta agent at customer service told me that once a bag clears security, the luggage piece is secure and can be put on any plane.
So, hey, Delta:
Is this really your policy? If so, why didn't the gate agent in Atlanta know? Or, Delta, did you violate TSA policy?

Have any of you had similar illogical or outrageous experiences?

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
Award-winning travel journalist
Follow her at familyitrips
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C

I was angry when airlines charged for checking a second bag. Now, I am even angrier when they demand payment for checking even one bag. On a recent USAir flight, I paid $15 for my first bag and $25 for my second bag. I opted for a second bag since I was headed to the Caribbean and had snorkel gear with me. If my first bag weighed more than 50-pounds, I was told I would have to pay $90 so checking two bags proved less expensive than an overweight single bag.
Come on now airlines---gas prices are down. Airlines can no longer justify the added fees as necessary to cover unexpected fuel costs.
Also, if airlines don't want us to stuff the overhead compartment with carry-ons, then the carriers shouldn't charge us to check one bag.
What do you think and what can we do about this?

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C

There are many inconsistencies in airline baggage policy.
I recently traveled round-trip to and from St. Lucia via American Airlines. Since St. Lucia is an international destination, I didn't have to pay for checking two bags. One bag had snorkeling gear and books.
But when I used USAir to fly to the Dominican Repbulic, I was told I had to pay for checking both bags as the Dominican Republic is considered by the USAir to be a "domestic" destination.
This makes no sense.

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
What irritates me is the number of people bringing on carry-on bags that are clearly bigger than what the airlines specify. When I go to put my regulation size carry-on in an overhead bin I have a hard time finding room. Even when my two girls & I were traveling & we had ONE carry-on for the 3 of us I had a hard time finding a space for my backpack since the bin directly above me was filled with other people's over-sized carry-ons.

T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
I so, so agree !!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
Yes, I agree.
The airlines should do a better job of gate checking carry-ons that are clearly too big.

I have noticed that more often than not it's usually a woman that the gate agent asks to have her carry-on bag checked.
On a recent flight, two men walked ahead of me with rollling carry-ons. I had a similar -sized rolling carry-on. When the gate agent requested that I check my bag, I told her I would do so if the three men ahead of me had to have theirs checked too.

Needless to say, I and my bag rolled onboard.
So what do you think?
Are women discriminated against when it comes to bags to check?

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Wow that was brave to say that. Airline staff are so sensitive these days. I am surprised they didn't tear your luggage appart.

Way to go girl!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
Hi,
For a moment after, I wondered if the gate agent was going to "hold" me, but I rolled aboard. I think women still are discriminated against on airlines. It's sad because it's often a woman flight attendant or airline agent who is doing the discrimination.

What do you think?
Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Amoeba
Amoeba
Yes. I hate it when my bags get a better flight than I do.
It seems the bag leads, and the person follows.
Except of course, when an airline exercises its option to close the door early and you miss the flight by three minutes. In that situation, your bag is treated as badly as you are and thrown off.
I too understand that we need to adapt to the times and I encourage tolerance for our safety. However....give me a break.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
More airline misadventures:

A colleague Andrea and I were returning from a trip to Albuquerque.She had carry-on for her flight to Denver on Continental. Since she arrived early, she asked if she could be put on the earlier flight. The agent replied, "Yes for $150 change fee" even though there were plenty of empty seats on the earlier flight.
She refused, preferring to wait an hour than spend another $150.
Why can't the airlines accommodate passengers? There was no problem with re-routing already checked baggage and the earlier plane was flying out with empty seats.

Let me know what you think. I'll gather responses, and forward these to Continental for a response.

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C

What do you think about the airline that held a planeful of people captive on the runway all night?

It's outrageous.
You really haveto assert your rights--calmly, but firmly. Even then, it may not help.

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.