I just got through reading Kathy's latest article:
Holiday Sobriety

This is a fantastic article.

I think this is a very important issue to think about beforehand. It is very common to put off thinking about what is going to happen at a party, and then get caught in a bad situation once you get there. It is far better to think ahead to situations and think how you will handle them.

I would like to offer another suggestion for those that are going to be celebrating their first few years sober around the holidays - throw your own party.

If you are pro-active about throwing a party, then you can decide about what will and will not be served there.

My husband and I typically throw a Christmas party every year, and alternate each year whether it is going to be a "family" or "couples" party. Our guests know that if it is a family party, all the kids are more than welcome - and alcohol is not. At the couples party it is the other way around. They do not even question the fact that there is not alcohol offered.

Add the fact in that I always serve the best paty food - and they don't even care! grin

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor