Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
I would like our Bella friends who live in the Southern Hemisphere to give those of us in the Northern Hemisphere an idea of how Christmas looks and feels in the middle of summer.

The things I think about are: Does Santa wear a heavy red suit trimed in white fur? One of our favorite movies and songs is/are "White Christmas", do you have something in comparision? 'Jingle Bells' and 'Let It Snow' are not Christmas songs but they appear on Christmas albums, what other things would be unusual for you? Want sort of scenes appear on your greeting cards - we have winter scenes, lots of snow? Because it is dark all evening most of our outdoors displays involve lights. What is the primary medium of your displays, or do you even do that?

These are just starting points. I would really like to hear a description. Or see one.

GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
R
Santa still wears a red suit. We sing the same Christmas songs, even though it doesn't really make a lot of sense for us to do so. Some local artists have Christmas-related songs (Youtube Paul Kelly - How to Make Gravy) but they're not exactly widely sung at carols. We have the same kind of Christmas cards, and we still do Christmas lights (because it is daylight saving over here too we usually have to wait until it gets dark - around 9ish). You can see an example of someone's lawn at this link -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Thanks, reptilia, for the information and the link. I enjoyed the yard decoration articles, but I spent a few minutes looking at other articles as well. I very much appreciate it.

A little hard to take since we are in the middle of our first really good snowfall. At least it's not a blizzard, but it does probably insure we'll have a White Christmas.

Have a Merry Green Christmas.

R
R
not so much a green christmas, to be honest! the whole country is in strife re: water supplies. melbourne in particular has the biggest water restrictions placed on it i believe. we're just not getting enough rain!

R
R
also, it's worth saying that australians are not as religious as americans seem to be. i don't know anyone to be honest who goes to church around christmas time. we play a lot of sports on christmas day too, like beach cricket or backyard cricket. i don't know whether the children in america venture outside when it's snowy but if you go driving around here on christmas day you are sure to find a lot of kids out on the streets with their new toys - be they bikes, rollerskates etc.

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Sorry to hear that. There are areas in the US that have had major drought as well. Fortunately this section of Minnesota is not one of them.

Have a happy holiday season.

R
R
same to you, grannyh.

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
I don't know if I should generalize, but I think most kids get video games, board games, and other inside toys. But they also get outdoor things like sleds, ice skates, etc. I have to keep extra coats here for two of my grandson - I can't make them come in during a snowstorm, so I just make them change into dry coats.

And we do drive around on Christmas day, but it is to see all the yard light displays. Also most people I know do go to church (every Sunday) but especially for Christmas.

Koala
Koala
At home (south Texas, US) we have a 50/50 chance of sunny days with him temps and gray days with ice and/or snow flurries. There's really no predicting this time of year. Though our temps have been cooler (we're just hitting the low 70's F during the day), there's no guarantee its going to stay that way.

We typically have the smoker/bbq going Christmas for either the ham or the turkey (or both) and the neighbors will be in and out Christmas day (the back forty is fenced, but gates open between properties and we all migrate back and forth at holidays).

We usually give outside and inside toys (no sleds-no use for them here). Campgrounds are likely to be packed with people (winter Texans and out of town visitors); but unless we have a very temperate date, the lake traffic will below (with the exception of the hard core boaters and fishermen).

Church is a biggie on Christmas Eve (major influx of persons from out of town and townies that only attend at holidays).

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.