Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
If you don't have a "backup" icon:

The first thing to do is to make sure you have your Windows XP fully updated. If you go into Start - All Programs, up at the very top of the list should be a "Windows Update" link. Make sure you're all updated.

Then once you've done that, go into Start - control panel, and into the add/remove programs area. There should be an option there to work with Windows components. Make sure the backup component is checked (it probably isn't). You might poke around in there and see what else you want to enable, there are lots of nifty Windows components that are very useful. That will then get backup running on your system!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, i will have to set aside to time to learn to do this. Thanks for the XP info!

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
I would say most people don't know how to back up their computers. Most people aren't computer savvy. My IT husband constantly has to recover data from failed hard drives and it's often the case that all the data can't be recovered. Important University research data goes bye bye all the time as well as dissertations.

I'm somewhat as bad. I back up what I'm working on currently on CD's every now and then. My biggest mistake I make is thinking my little USB memory stick can hold back up data forever! So I save to the hard drive and back up to the USB memory stick and I've done that for about 9 months now. Woops.

Gecko
Gecko
I was told that Windows XP does not come with backup by the Dell techs and my tech who fixed my PC when it crashed.

Last edited by rdywenur; 12/05/08 10:56 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We have several XP systems in the house and they all have backup as a standard Windows icon - so maybe it's only the Dell specific version that they removed backup from because they want you to rely on their services? Odd!

Setting up a backup plan takes literally 10 minutes at the most - and it can save you MONTHS of work!!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
In fact right on the Microsoft site here is an article explaining how to use the Microsoft XP Backup Utility smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 12/13/08 12:30 PM.

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
Where was this piece of info when my PC was crashing (just before final death) Dell techs didn't seem to know this. Can you color me upset. I lost so many files and photos....irreplacable. I should sue them. I have since bought a back up device and it is so simple to use. Just plug it in and it does the work on its own. Now that's my kinda software. laugh (for dummies)

F
F
Hi Friends,
I am new here and I am happy that I can find a lot of userful information on the forum. I also have pc realeted website and I hope it will be good for everyone here)))

L
L
Hi My husband helped me install an online backup solution on my laptop. There are many now that are both affordable, simple and automatic. I use www.kabooza.com which has a benefit that I can log into my account at work and look at the picures of my children and even send copies of them to family and friends.. But there are several others. Don't lose all your photos like I did with our first son. I don't know what i will tell him when he gets older... Be Safe!

Last edited by Lisa Green; 01/09/09 03:55 AM.
Lisa, welcome to the forum, we hope you enjoy your stay smile
Rosie

Rosie L
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.