Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#471349 11/25/08 11:00 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I've been reading about sea glass. What an interesting topic!! I have some sea glass I received from a friend in Scotland...and I have just read about some surprising finds here in Rhode Island. Anyone interested in chatting about it?? I have some interesting sites to visit...just let me know if you are interested!
Best,
D
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
My family and I went on a treasure hunt today... there is over 400 miles of coastline in RI. We hunted and found a few great pieces. They will be on my blog soon and I'll be using them in a jewelry design as well.

Do you have any sea glass jewelry to share?? Would love to see them!
Best,
D

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I can't resist picking up sea glass from the beaches of Cape Cod when I go there every summer. I have used it a little but not much, and have pounds of it waiting to be used for something....anything! Sea glass used to be plentiful on the beaches until Massachusetts put a deposit on glass bottles and people stopped throwing them into the water. Now you are lucky to find a few tiny fragments here and there along the water's edge.
My choicest pieces are red, that's very rare, and deep blue, also rare. But the pale purple pieces are my favorites because they are so old. You know that purple glass was made before the first World War! Ordinary glass has a greenish tint, and in order to bleach it to clear the glassmakers added manganese. However the manganese they used came from Germany and when it became unavailable during the WW 1 they had to find other bleaching agents and never went back to manganese even when it finally became available again. Over many years of exposure to sunlight the manganese in old glass turns a pale purple, so those cherished purple bits are over 80 years old! I hear that in some old homes in Boston the South facing window glass has a pale purple tinge.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thanks for the info....hmmm maybe I should go and increase the price of the pieces I just posted on etsy! One light purple piece there. Here is the linkBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
gem created by a living animal, pearls have been a sign of classic good taste and beauty for more than 4,000 years

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
So true! Pearls are just that... lovely, classic and beautiful! Jamesuzbek, ever go treasure hunting on the seashore??
What fun!

Best,
D

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Check out this hub I put together....
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I'm dying to find some red sea glass. I have seen earrings made with a few fragments and they were astonishing! Anyone have pictures to share? I'd love to see them!

Best,
D

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Over the next few weeks I have sometime off from work...plan on spending some time at the shore looking for more sea glass..will post my findings...anyone else care to share their sea glass collection...would LOVE to see pics and discuss!!

Blessings~
D

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
We decided to take advantage of the unusually warm weather today in RI (60deg!) and go on another hunt... boy, did we score!! The winter storms must have churned up new stuff... we had two full pockets of all different colors in no time. Will post link to pictures soon!! Can't wait to make some jewelry with these finds!! Cobalt blue, light green, dark green, orange, lots of clear and brown...

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I took pic's tonight and they are posted on my blog... over 50 pieces!!

A
A
Many congrats on your new feature. It's wonderful. I know so little about sea glass I'm happy to learn some more through your article. Maybe I need to take a trip to the shore and take a look around. It would be fun to wrap something I found on the beach. Time to start looking.
Since collecting is your venue it will be fun to follow since I got into jewelry by starting as an antique jewelry collector. Looking forward to many more articles.
Lois

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Sea glass is a lot of fun. It used to be so plentiful on the beaches when I was a kid ... I had tons of it. I don't know what happened to it. I have some now, but you don't find much anymore. Any pieces that aren't polished smooth by the ocean, I throw back.

Kevin Thorburn
Ice Hockey
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Lois and Kevin,

Thanks so much for your posts! I'm looking foward to the interesting array of topics we will discuss.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Seaglass
New seaglass found in Warwick RI now listed on Etsy!
Brown, green, clear, crackle...cool! Need to get back to making some jewelry!
Best,
D

Last edited by mygemstonebox; 01/03/09 10:59 PM.
T
T
Generally, you can find sea glass for sale on ebay----be carefule (and sure) that it is genuine, there is lots of fake sea glass out there now that it's become popular---people run it thru tumblers, sandblast it, etc to get that sea glass "look" on it. Some have nice lots with various sizes of pieces.
Teri

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
True Teri!

Here is an article to help with that real vs. artificial once you see the picture it is rather easy to identify the "man-made" pieces.

Thanks for your post!
D

H
Amoeba
Amoeba
H
sea glass! that really sounds interesting... would love to study something about it! do you know where i can know more about it

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Hermosotrozo,
I might be able to help you... do you have a particular question??

Thanks for stopping by!
D

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I found this site quite interesting as it pertains to sea glass and where I live:

Nova Scotia Beach Sea Glass

Kevin Thorburn
Ice Hockey
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hey Kevin, thanks for that link. I checked it out and realized I had read that before but not on a blog... I had already favorited her Etsy shop!! Thanks again, D

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I opened a new window to search for this since I had never heard about it and this is absolutely gorgeous. I will look for some when I will walk on the beach.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.