Print Thread
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
One time I cooked a turkey upside down in the oven and it was the juiciest bird we ever ate. You could even turn it back over for the last hour or so for the golden brown crispiness on the outside as well.

I know of a person who also cooked a turkey inside of a brown paper bag. He coated the whole inside of the bag with a lard like Crisco, stuck the bird in it, closed the bag and stapled it closed and cooked it and it was very moist and juicy also.

Do you have any creative ways to cook a turkey?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Cooking a turkey upside down sounds creative, and an interesting way to distribute the juices differently seeing how the top of the bird usually gets dry. Thanks for that tip, Vance.

The paper bag idea has me wondering how the paper doesn't catch fire in the oven. There must be a catch to it. Or didn't he/she place it in a traditional oven. Mmmm I would definitely stay close by (with a fire extinguisher) he he. Just in case.

My in law laws cook their turkey in one of those deep fryers where you heat up tons of oil to a very high temperature then drop the whole turkey down into the whole bat. I think it cooks pretty fast and the meat is really tender. But you can't stuff it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Originally Posted By: DebCreativeEditor
Cooking a turkey upside down sounds creative, and an interesting way to distribute the juices differently seeing how the top of the bird usually gets dry. Thanks for that tip, Vance.

The paper bag idea has me wondering how the paper doesn't catch fire in the oven. There must be a catch to it. Or didn't he/she place it in a traditional oven. Mmmm I would definitely stay close by (with a fire extinguisher) he he. Just in case.

My in law laws cook their turkey in one of those deep fryers where you heat up tons of oil to a very high temperature then drop the whole turkey down into the whole bat. I think it cooks pretty fast and the meat is really tender. But you can't stuff it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I don't know why the bag doesn't catch fire. You still put everything in a pan and maybe the Crisco has something to do with the bag not catching fire as well as keeping the bird moist?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Don't know how a paper bag would not catch on fire either.
Reynolds, has oven bags also turkey size bags, Keeps the juices in.
But you can't use them with a counter top Electric Roaster Ovens. I coat my turkey with olive oil i love the crispy skin.

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
If I recall from high school, the novel Farenheit 451 was so named because the flash point of paper is 451 degrees, so i guess, as long as you keep the temperature below that the heat won't cause the bag to burn.

I used to work with a woman who always started her turkey cooking upside down and then turned it right side up about half way through. I never did it because it seemed like a pain in the butt to do it and the bird always cooked fine without doing it. But I'm sure it would distribute the juices better.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
In London England we have a celebrity cook called Delia Smith - she has always advocated cooking poultry upside down for the first part of cooking!

Of course, in Dickens traditional Victorian Christmas that would have been a bit difficult - it would have been a goose!

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.