Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#470939 11/24/08 10:53 AM
V
VickyH Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I am always confused on the kind of apples best to use in apple pie. Everytime I try using a variety of apples, either it comes too dry or too runny with a lot of water?????
Can anyone explain this? Does anyone have a great apple pie crust that does not get soggy at the botton? Thanks. Vicky

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Shark
Shark
S
Granny Smith apples are tarter and drier. You can always put lots of topping on when it's dry.

V
VickyH Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I've tried Granny Smith, but my family doesn't like the tartness, instead like sweet pies.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I like to use a variety of apples, and find that Granny Smith, which are tart, are great paired with Fugi, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, and Jonagold. Red delicious are not good cooking apples.

I've found that my apple pies turn out better if I cook the apples a little first like in the pie recipe that I just posted BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Karen Hancock, Desserts Editor
Desserts Website
Desserts Forum
Elephant
Elephant
i use a combo of fuji with granny smith and golden delicious.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Elephant
Elephant
another thing you can do is sugar the apples and let them drain in a collindar for an hour. Then you boil down the juice and make a syrup you mix with lemon juice and place in the apples with sugar and cinnamon.

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
V
VickyH Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Jase,
I have used Golden Delicious before and it produced a lot of water. Do you have this power? Thanks. VIcky

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Vicky, another thing you can do to help keep your crust from getting soggy is to partially bake it "blind" - this means without filling, before you add the apples to it.

What you will want to do is line your piecrust with some aluminum foil and fill it with either pie weights that you can buy from a cook's store like Sonoma Williams - or for a cheaper solution you can use dried beans (like kidney beans).

The pie weights will help distribute the heat a little better, but they are a little expensive if you don't bake much.

So anyway, turn your oven to 350, line your piecrust with foil, fill the bottom with beans, and bake for about 15 minutes. It will be kind of a light golden color - just stsrting to dry out a little. Be mixing your pie filling while this is baking, then after the 15 minutes - add your pie filling and bake as usual.

To keep your crust edges from getting too brown, keep some foil crimped around the outside untilk the last 10 minutes of baking. Then take the foil off, and it will golden up just like the rest of the pie.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
that is why i sugar and allow to drain for an hour. This helps remove some water and helps dry out them some so the water that is produced isn't too much. ALso I dust them in tapiocca flour as well to help gel the juices. you have to let the pie cool for 4 hours if you are using tapiocca

Moderated by  Karen - Desserts 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.