Print Thread
N
nerdwritermom
Unregistered
nerdwritermom
Unregistered
N
Hi,

Just that...how do you make your stuffing? In the turkey? On the stovetop? Baked? What goes into your stuffing?

I usually make my stuffing both in the turkey and on the stovetop. I love it so much, I always make too much!

The best stuffing I ever made was on the stovetop, with whole wheat bread I'd baked myself and turkey stock I'd made myself! Plus almonds, water chestnuts, cranberries, turkey drippings, and lots of sage. It was a once-in-a-lifetime do-it-yourself stuffing, and I'm still bragging about it because it was so, so good...mmmm...stuffing...

Karen
How to Host a Thanksgiving Dinner for Those With Dietary Restrictions
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by nerdwritermom; 11/20/08 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have some good recipes for stuffing. One of them, which I love, is Mrs. Cubbison's herb flavored mix and I add sauteed onions, celery, mushrooms and add some hazelnuts then bake till thoroughly hot and a little crusty on top.

The family favorite, though, is my Mother's old fashioned stuffing made from day old bread, torn in peices, turkey stock, onions, celery, sage, salt, pepper - that's it. Then she bakes it till crusty on top.

None of us in the family stuff the turkey anymore. We just use baking pans for the stuffing alone. But, we still call it stuffing, because we stuff ourselves with it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
N
nerdwritermom
Unregistered
nerdwritermom
Unregistered
N
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
But, we still call it stuffing, because we stuff ourselves with it.

Heh-heh. Very apropos.

R
Parakeet
Parakeet
R
Take loaf of a few days old bread and chop or rip it up.

Place in a bowl.

Add chopped onions, celery, peppers...whatever you want.

Seasonings: Sage, garlic, salt, pepper....your choice...

Add about 2 tablespoons real butter and then pour at least a 1/4 cup of boiling hot water onto the bread. Start kneading. You want it to be in a dough-y state.

If you need more water, add it - SLOWLY! You can always add more.

As soon as it is a dough-y constistency, place it in the cavity of the prepared bird.

Bake the bird as directed and then you have your stuffing, too.

Robin Rounds Whittemore, Fragrance Editor
Fragrance Website
Fragrance Forum

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I make my own turkey broth by boiling the gibblets and neck in 2 quarts of water. Then cut the turkey parts into small, small pieces.

The bread I use is cubed and completely dried. The drier it is the more broth (and flavor) you need to add. I don't add much in the way of seasoning - Poultry seasoning, onion, pepper.

I lightly stuff the bird. But most goes into a casserole dish which bakes at 350 degrees for around one hour.

I make a lot of stuffing. Turkey is a common bird in this 'neck' of the woods, so it is the stuffing that makes it a Holiday Meal.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
J
Koala
Koala
J
I like to make oyster and wild rice dressing. My husband and I love it. Of course we have to make traditional dressing for everybody else because oysters aren't that popular.

We also smoke our turkey in a smoker now. It's delicious and very easy to do.

Moderated by  Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.