logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
There was an article on Yahoo News that said unhappy people watch TV 30% more than happy people.

Do you agree????

Researchers are not sure if they were unhappy before watching TV or TV led to unhappiness. Interesting . . .

Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I wonder if they mean simply unhappy or depressed?

I would be willing to agree with it. It's probably a vicious circle type thing.

People are unhappy, so they get caught up in tv shows as a means of escape - the fantasy world, living vicariously, etc.

But then as they watch this world, they realize that these things ARE fantasy - and missing from their life, so that makes them even more unhappy.

Vicious circle.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I watch a lot of TV, Because there is nothing else to do!
Can't really say its because i'm depressed because when i'm depressed yes i'm on the sofa watching tv but not paying attention to what is on. And being unhappy is to me the same as being depressed.
I'M just plain bored, so I watch TV

Rosie L
Shark
Shark
I'm always busy reading or doing activities in and around the house, socializing, etc. So I don't have time to watch TV, not that I miss anything. There is hardly anything worthwhile on anyway.

Guess what? I give massages and reiki. More info here!
A
A
hello

yes thats correct. and its true that unhappy people watch more tv.

[url="http://www.boomeryearbook.com"]elderly problems[/url]
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I think partially it might depend on what you watch on TV. I watch HGTV and shows to give me ideas, plus things like the Discovery channel. I don't watch violent or reality TV at all.

I also am usually doing something with my hands, like crocheting or something and that's relaxing for me.

We only watch TV though in the evenings, not all day by any means. I do think you need time for friends and family that doesn't include TV.

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I think it's true that happy people probably watch less tV because they are doing other things like going out with friends or pursuing hobbies but I don't necessarily think it's watching TV that makes people unhappy.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I am very happy when I watch television. In fact, I am unhappy when I cannot watch it. lol.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
I'm with you on this one Vance. I watch television and am not unhappy or depressed and my hubbie is an avid tv watcher and he most certainly is not an unhappy person. We have our shows we share in looking at together then he has his own and as someone else mentioned, there are a lot of good shows for women on "WE" channel and "Lifetime" and watching them is very entertaining and so is HGTV galore.

Unless you know the person individual, I think it is rather judgmental to think tv has to do with any particular way the person is feeling at the time. Life in general is full of disappointment and depression alone with all the drama that tv couldn't even match.

I know people that don't even have a tv and they can be the most pessimistic and rude people I've ever met.

There's always two sides to a plate....Happy holidays everyone.

BTW, cute doggie Sharon.

Last edited by Kimmie08; 12/02/08 03:51 PM.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I read in Martin Seligman's book Authentic Happiness, that the average mood while watching sitcoms is mild depression. Something to think about.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Tiger
Tiger
I'm with Vance and Kimmie on this. Although we could all be so depressed we're in denial. LOL.

I think television has the capabilities to lift and to deflate. I find watching the news really makes me sad so I try to avoid it, other than the highlights.

I love television. I hate commercials. I love my PVR as it has cut down on my commercial viewing. smile

Cheers!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I love my old movies and my soaps and as Moe pointed out my DVR. LOL. I think the key is balance. A little TV, then gratifying work, then some excercize, time with the family, a little more TV etc.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

N
N
I am unhappy and watch a lot of television but watching television is one of the rare thing that actually gives me happiness so for me it's not true.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Guess I must be deliriously happy, as I almost never watch television.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.