Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
What can I do to ride out this economical downslide? I'm a business man/woman and/or entrepaneur.

My goodness this has been a huge session topic in readings lately! So, maybe these thoughts will save a few dollars on some of the more broader issues.

If you want to make a huge mark - don't wait for the market to reach a better standing. Recognize and empathize with what people are going through currently. Even if it seems as if your hard work is almost given away, offer incentives that take away the stress and hassels of every day challenges or consider trading specialties - like a massage for a cooking class.

If you own a B & B or hotel, consider slashing those prices in half without hidden fees. Go the extra distance and advertise you don't charge a pet fee or offer the price cuts through the weekends w/an extended stay.

If you own a catering business, throw in some extra ordurves that benefit you as well, such as a 50 serving sample platter and make anything you do look classy or eloquent
with creative touches.

I get the message, "Don't look down..." like on a tight rope. Just keep your eye on your goal, go out in empathy and inspirational attitude and word of mouth will bring you more business than waiting for better financial days.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 11/13/08 03:50 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
Shark
Shark
W
Elleise -

How much of a difference do you feel entrepaneures will make on the economy? I've been considering working for myself for some time. There just isn't any movement working for someone else. Will the market open up more for people starting their own business? Just what are your feelings on this?

Thanks,

- whoisjohngalt

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I agree with Elleise's "impressions." But see it more as a cycle. For thousands of years cottage industries supported civilization. Then we had the Industrial Revolution which expanded through the use of fossil fuels. Cities grew exponentially. When you think how long humans survived by cottage industry, the last 200 years are merely the blink of an eye.

Society has been making gradual moves back to cottage industry for decades. Communication advances, fax machines, the internet, etc. have made this faster and easier People have been moving out from cities to smaller communities for years. In our little section of South East GA, we have a growing population of telecommuters.

Energy concerns have forced people to shop locally. Our Chamber of Commerce set up a program to promote it. Community gardens are being set up. Thrift and resale stores are thriving.

If you look, there are many trends pointing towards local communities based on cottage industry for the future. The financial crisis may have in one way speeded things up, as corporations are falling like flies. On the other hand it may have stalled it a bit with the lack of available credit. Hopefully, local credit unions will help.

I strongly feel entrepreneurs and cottage industry will be the future basis of our economy. Large industry and corporations will remain. However the majority of our gross national product will be from small business, if it's not already.

It started quietly, but our return to cottage industry may be gaining speed. I worry for those who won't be prepared for this return to the past. But it's a cycle. At some point, an alternate fuel source will be discovered. Large industries will once again take full advantage of it. This will lead to another industrial revolution.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I agree with you icp and you worded it much better, btw. I think mine took up like 7 posts over the course of a month.

I feel and posted somewhere in this forum that just as you pointed out, some people will ban together, like communities but there will be an even greater portion of people who will act on their own behalf - and won't be prepared. Instead they will act out of desperation.

I agree with you about the alternative fuel source and it isn't ethenal. If you invested in ethenal, I would go in and get out before this other fuel comes out. This newer fuel will work better for the industry as a whole(whatever it is) and burn more efficiently if it's something that burns at all.

The community garden centers are simply wonderful to hear about. I wonder if it's something everyone could help invest in. They'd get more than their monies worth in the long run.

I agree as well, we can say goodbye to large scale industries. They're not apt to come back, ever. Expect a great deal of layoffs toward the end of this year. Companies will see lower earnings and want to cap their profits at whatever cost they can.

Don't let it get you down if you are one that happens to get laid off. The gov't comes in and helps in a variety of different ways. I would personally utilize that time though to reassess what you would like to do - i mean really enjoy. Investigate going back to school w/a grant for something you want to study like Forensic science or business ed and create a home business for yourself or put something like a hobby you already do on the internet and start getting paid.

i see more and more people freely chosing NOT to spend on big companies almost spending enthusiastically on good quality entrepaneurialship (is that a word?) materials. Like how society lables Amish craftmanship. People become more open minded and exicted with new ideas.

As entrapaneurs begin expanding (which they will without doubt) they will re-build the hiring process and you'll like working for them much better than the old/hand corporate ways. They will take care of good employees - they've been there.

Again, I strongly suggest learning how to can and store vegatables and when you're out and about, if necessities are on sale like candles/matches/batteries/tp/canned foods, etc. just pick up a few and store them.

i still feel people end up letting more and more of thier taxes slide to make up the difference for awhile. The gov't wont be able to keep up w/all of them. This is when their "programs" begin to bankrupt. If you're not dependent on them, you'll be just fine!

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 11/14/08 12:57 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hi Elliese,

I've felt strongly that my fiance and I will be creating a business together for sometime now. He does work for the Government but can retire in five years. However, this seems like it will happen sooner than that. I feel it is something I will be doing from home, through the internet and yet it is local too. I sense we do alot of conferences or teleconferences if that makes sense. I believe whatever we are going to be doing together is already there waiting for us, I just don't know how we get there or when.

Anna

Jellyfish
Jellyfish

I see us writing a lot, maybe about our experiences in a certain area where we were successful. It is more about sharing our knowledge and experience in order to help people become empowered, who may be dealing with the same thing we did, almost advocating in a sense.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Hi Anna,

That sounds wonderful! It's also, exactly what I'm talking about. Convenience of the internet and phone conferancing are exactly what people will look more and more into.

I know what you mean too about just getting a new business going. It's almost overwhelming when you look at point A (here) and point B (where you want to be).

What helps alot is just beginning with a web page. There are a lot of free ones out there that you can play with and design with text and pictures and such. Before you know it the idea begins creating itself or you begin seeing how one thing connects or will need to when you come back to it again, the next day.

Plus, you know me...love the networking part. It helps to keeps the eye on the ball, instead of worrying about everything else out there. Before you know it, you meet people you never thought were out there, like you and it just starts to click!

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Thanks Elliese,

I do know where to start and I was thinking about doing a web page, lol!

I believe we do need to reach out to a certain sector of people, I know when the time is right it will happen.

My fiance and I tend to be very synchronistic in our thinking and doing, lol...we'll both know when its time.

Thanks again!

Anna

anamcara
W
Shark
Shark
W
I'm not trying to push or anything, but I was still wondering what you see for the entrepaneurs, specifically in moving the economy. The reason I'm personally interested is that I'm not sure whether or not to start up again solo or follow Obama's ideas dealing with suplimental energy and getting into those types of fields. I'm really torn right now.

Any help, Elleise would be appreciated!

Btw, I read your website post. That's too funny. You seem to either be reading minds or headlines...is there any difference?

-Whoisjohngalt

J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
Hello,

I've been thinking about starting back up teaching piano lessons since after the death of my husband almost 3 years. I was a music major and want to continue with my music. I accomany our church choir and have the past 24 years. I know this really doesnt have much to do with the topic moves for Enterpeneures, but it does relate to starting my own business as a piano teacher. When I lived in Georgia a few years ago (Kennesaw area), my husband owned a music store there. I taught piano and loved it!! He was proud of the techiques I used to help my students understand music. Sooooo, since I feel I have that talent, I plan to get back into it after the holidays. I already have my business cards. I'm only doing this as a part time job after I get off my primary job. I work 40 hours a week, I plan to go to their homes since I dont have a piano at the time or go to the music stores and see if I can teach there paying a portion of my income to the store for use of facility. We'll have to wait and see how things are at the moment. It may start out slow, but it will be rewarding as time goes. I have one student starting in January. I plan to put my ad in the church bullentin too. It may cost a few dollars a month, the point is, to let my name be labeled. If you love doing what you do, then it pays off.

Best of luck to you all who are planning on starting a business or going in partner with one another for the new year.

Julie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.