Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
J is for
Jamaican Jerk! Spicy and delicious, jerk chicken is a Caribbean delight. See my recipe on the Caribbean Culture siteBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 03/02/09 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: Lea Ann/ Carib Culture
J is for Jamaican Jerk! Spicy and delicious, jerk chicken is a Caribbean delight. See my recipe on the Caribbean Culture site

Thanks Lea Ann! smile

The beautiful thing about Jamaican Jerk seasonings is that there are a slew of vegetarian dishes you can use them in.

Good Stuff!!!
Speaking of recipe conversions I'll give you all a challenge... anytime you use a recipe that you want to make veggie try by substituting the meat with something vegetarian:

• Tofu
    Portabella [or other types of] Mushroom
    Beans
    Grains
    Etc.

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 01/26/09 09:13 PM.
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
K
Kalamata Olives

Olives can be eaten by themselves, converted into spreads and dips, marinated, made into tapenades, added as a secret ingredient to a Mediterranean style Ranch Dressing, etc.

They're more versatile than you can shake a stick at, easy to incorporate into your recipes and well worth the effort and then some and available year-round.

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 03/02/09 07:19 PM.
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
L
Lettuce - we're talking Romaine here. Iceberg and Bibb (or Butter) lettuces don't have very many nutrients or fiber.

Romaine lettuce has Vitamin A, C, and K (these are the highest). It also has small amounts of Vitamin B1, 2, 3 and 6. There is some iron and dietary fiber.

Since salads are made up of mostly lettuce, why not make it with Romaine?

Wraps and other sandwiches are something to involve Roamine with.

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 03/02/09 07:18 PM.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Sitcoms Website
Sitcoms Forum
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
M
Macintosh Apples - are very sweet and make a nice snack when sliced sprinkled with cinnamon and baked in the oven for a few minutes

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 03/02/09 07:17 PM.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
O
Okra

Okra is an awesome succulent (pod fruit/vegetable). I was doing some studies on it years ago and found that it is used to replenish and or build blood matter.

Along with tasting great in fungi, calalloo and (surprising enough) cornbread, it is said to be great for those going into surgery in the future for decreasing blood loss.

I'm sure I'll go further into detail on it one of these days if the interest is great enough. I'll share one of my own stories.

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 03/02/09 07:17 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Jason - I know this is kind of outside the game, but I saw something else about okra the other day (it was on "Good Eats" with Alton Brown.)

Okra is a natural thickener. You don't have to use as much flour or cornstarch in soups and stews when you use okra.

OK - now for "N"
Nori the dried seaweed used to make sushi rolls. You can wrap up sticky rice, vegetables, raw or cooked fish or even some meats if you like. My kids even like just snacking on the dried nori. (My kids also like sushi -- so they are a little out there, LOL!) grin

But if you know somebody that blanches at the word "sushi" because all they think of is raw fish, you can make what is called a "bagel roll" - which is basically the nori, layered with rice, then smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocadoes, green onions and then you roll it up.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd
Jason - I know this is kind of outside the game, but I saw something else about okra the other day (it was on "Good Eats" with Alton Brown.)

Okra is a natural thickener. You don't have to use as much flour or cornstarch in soups and stews when you use okra.

OK - now for "N"
Nori the dried seaweed used to make sushi rolls. You can wrap up sticky rice, vegetables, raw or cooked fish or even some meats if you like. My kids even like just snacking on the dried nori. (My kids also like sushi -- so they are a little out there, LOL!) grin

But if you know somebody that blanches at the word "sushi" because all they think of is raw fish, you can make what is called a "bagel roll" - which is basically the nori, layered with rice, then smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocadoes, green onions and then you roll it up.

I just realized that I need to go back and take 'Alphabet 101' blush laugh ...'LM'O'N?

Thx for filling in the 'N' Chelle. And funny enough, I was just talking to my mom and aunt today about sushi.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
P

Pasta
Pasta can be a great way to make a simple, yet satisfying meal or snack, but here's something that you may not know...

Pasta can be made with more than just grains...

They can also be made with bean and root starches, like mung bean or sweet potato.

VERY TASTY when prepped right!!! grin

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Q
Quinces

Serve quince jelly on freshly made scones (I think you call them biscuits!) with fresh cream

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 03/02/09 07:16 PM.

Felicity
Deafness
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.