Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I think part of the reason so many kids start trying on these defective behaviors as ways to fit in - is they already feel isolated, family problems, depressions, etc. They see adults that can hand;e this stuff and use it as a way of escpe - wo why not try it themselves?

Unortunately they never see the "crash" side of this risky behavior.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
Obviously, there are many reasons for the behavior. I can give you a couple. Understand that typically when people cut the act of cutting is the culmination of things.

Often times cutters suffer from depression. People who are suffering from depression typically have a distorted self image. They cut themselves as a punishment and to let out the pain. Also they can see it as a way of releasing the "bad" that is in them.

Is cutting on the rise? I haven't read any studies that discuss these these statistics so I cannot say. It may be that it has been going on for a while but has just come to the forefront. There are many things that we ignore in society. We also have to consider that this is the information age. The internet and cable TV make us so much more aware of "life" than we ever have been.

When I was a child there were forms of cutting as well. We used needles and razor blades back in the days before disposable razors were so common. That was quite some time agao as I am now 44. So, if I had to guess, I'd say it's been around for quite some time. It just gets more publicity now. (Of course, it is possible that because it is now more publicized more kids jump on that bandwagon.)

And, yes, I have experience with cutting from a few different vantage points.

As a side note, Lorel, it is funny that you refer to casual sex as a habit. Odd, really.

Last edited by hoaxie; 10/19/08 05:36 PM.

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
hoaxie #460927 10/19/08 06:14 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I wonder if it is being seen on the rise because in times past it may have been misdiagnosed as suicide attempts.

From what I understand of people that cut their wrists there are usually a few "hesitation" cuts, like they are building up the nerve to do it for real.

A cutter could have several of these slash marks, too - but obviously for different reasons.

I think the casual sex referenced above is more about risky behavior than a habit. Although we do know now that there are sex addicts. We are dealing with this type of addiction in my 17 yr old son that has Asperger's. It starts out as a normal curisoity, then turns into an obsession. That is where the normal/healthy line falls down. He is in some very intense treatment for this.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
Originally Posted By: ChelleLaunch&Spirituality
I wonder if it is being seen on the rise because in times past it may have been misdiagnosed as suicide attempts.

Good point. Certainly food for thought. smile

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
hoaxie #466484 11/07/08 04:00 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I defintiely think misdiagnosis was possible in the past...now I wonder whether or not we help out adolescents develop appropriate coping mechanisms and skills.

Stephanie K. Ferguson, Ph.D.
Adolescence Editor
BellaOnline Adolescence
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.