Page 1 of 2 1 2
#466028 11/05/08 06:08 PM
O
onmyway Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
O
I'm ready for the taste of Thanksgiving! How are you cooking your turkey this year? Trying anything different? I've never brined my turkey before, but this recipe from Safeway for Maple Turkey Brining sounds good....

4 cups water
1/4 cup kosher or coarse salt
Maple Syrup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 minced or pressed garlic cloves
sprinkling of juniper berries and cloves

Mix 4 cups water, 1/4 cup kosher or coarse salt, 1/2 cup Maple Syrup, 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 3 minced or pressed garlic cloves, and a sprinkling of juniper berries and cloves.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
I always brine my turkey and this recipe sounds super!

The past couple years we smoked our turkey. My husband loves smoking meat and smoked turkey is really good.

O
onmyway Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
O
There are two other brining recipes including a soy brine and basic brine plus other recipes for Thanksgiving on safeway.com. The maple syrup with the brown sugar sounds like it will give a good sweetness to the turkey. Top it with some good gravy....droooool laugh. Hoping it will add a good golden brown color to the turkey as well.

Last edited by onmyway; 11/07/08 05:14 PM.
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I've never brined my turkey before. I guess the reason is that if it turns out bad then we're stuck with that turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe I'll try it on another day sometime when we also have the option of ordering take out food. wink

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I have been brining my turkey every year for the past five years since I saw Alton Brown do it on Good Eats (and I think he is a genious!)

Here's his orignal recipe on Food Network.com Altoin Brown Brine & Roast Turkey

but about 2 years ago I came across a recipe for a Tea Brined turkey - and we fell in love with it. My kids go nuts for it!

Grilled Tea Brined Turkey at Epicurious.com

This is our go-to recipe now. We do NOT have leftovers of this bird!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
M
Shark
Shark
M
I too have brined my turkey for the past several years, but after reading a piece in one of my favorite cookbooks, I will try an easier approach this year.

The author explains that if you like the taste and texture of brined turkey, opt for a Butterball or Kosher Turkey because they have already been brined so it saves you the time and mess of doing it yourself.

She suggests a fresh turkey instead of frozen. In her recipe, she stuffs the cavity with celery, carrots, and onion and then drapes it with 6 strips of bacon and cooks it low and slow (325 degrees F). After 1 1/2 hours you discard the bacon and continue to roast until an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 175 degrees F.

The author is Diane Phillips. She has been teaching Do Ahead Thanksgiving Cooking Classes all over the country for more than 15 years and most all of the recipes I have tried from her books have turned out great.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Martha McKinnon
Koala
Koala
We've brined, fried, smoked, grilled and roasted. This year we're going to try salting the turkey.

Here are the instructions for salting:

Salting a Turkey.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Why do you brine a turkey? I guess it is like marinading but what is the benefit of a tea brine or of salting a turkey?

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Brining a turkey causes the salt to soak into the muscle fibers of the turkey which in turn cause lquid to be absorbed by the fibers (so you have a moister turkey)

It is the same reason why when people cut sodium out of their diet they lose water weight.

Marinading is the same principle - soaking the turkey in flavor - but brining is secifically using salt to make the meat absorb the liquid as well as the flavor.

Last edited by ChelleLaunch&Spirituality; 11/15/08 07:58 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Best turkey I ever had was brined and deep-fried!
It was also entertaining since the deep frying pot was too full of oil and when the turkey dropped in six-foot flames nearly burned the tree under which they were cooking.

This year I'm gonna try to cook like Rocco on The Biggest Loser. He's on the show Tues. night with healthy recipes. That'll be a nice change!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.