Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK everyone I have always wanted to do a "drawing of the day". I don't draw very well but I thought if I worked on it I would hopefully improve smile

So my challenge for the moment is red. Post away with your poems, drawings photos and paintings that are inspired by red! I'll post my drawings in a few hours smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I'm not quite that creative; but, I'll share with you a poem I like about the color red. Maybe it will inspire someone who IS creative in this direction?

Red
by Thelma S. Pierce McBurney

Red as the breast of a Robin
Red as the petals of a rose
Red as the rays of the evening sun
Red as a firelight glows
Red as your lips raised to mine
Red as a glass of red rich wine
Red as the dress you wore
When you promised to be mine

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Lisa,
You will get better with practice. Drawing is like any other skill, if you had a violin, but had no lessons, you wouldn't play very well. I highly recommend Betty Edwards' book, Drawing om the Right Side of the Brain. I don't know if it is still in print, but old copies are still available. It is full of exercises to increase your drawing skill, and you can work through them at your own speed. I used to use the exercises when I was teaching art to middle and high school art students.

Have fun with your drawing!

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Ha, that's so funny. It seems like I have a poem written for every subject there is and so I went back in my files and pulled out one called "Red" from 1984.

RED

Apples left
on teacher's desk
memorable suit
Santa wore
My favorite dress
trimmed in lace
The ruby lipstick
mother wore
Beating hearts
pumping life
Probing tongues
in passion's heat
Cherry wine
by the fire
Fire burning
in the wall
Blood shed
by men at war
The moon
when time is done

by Deb

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 11/17/08 05:35 PM.
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
My bedroom was inspired by a deep red. My bedspread is red (with paisley in it) and I have deep red valances with beads hanging from the edges of them.) But personally I would have a hard time painting a wall red, but I know there are some bold people out there that are gutsier than me.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I did actually do a page of red things, and finally have gotten around to scanning them in and so on. However, for some reason the scan of my drawings (with watercolor pencils) didn't get the colors very well. For example my apple is "solid" in color, with shades of color along it. The scan makes it look very light. The same is true for the banner - in reality it is a solid red background to it. I'm going to have to figure out how to scan these in better!

Still, it's a start smile

I'll note that I am a newbie to drawing. This is the very first page in my art paper book. I am hoping to inspire others to start, that they think "I can do better than that!" smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I tried taking digital camera photos of them instead of scanning them and they did come out a bit better that way!

Low Carb Forum
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
They don't look like "newbie" drawings to me. I especially like the apple! It's interesting how you created dimension/shading on it with color. I too have an apple (it's a painted acrylic one), but I don't know how to put pictures up on the forum. So you did a study in reds - that was cool. You could move on from there and do a study in blues, greens, yellows, etc. (with all difference shades, hues).

Thanks for sharing your artwork, Lisa.

Anyone else have inspiring "red" art work?

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
I wanted to add to my last post that getting a note pad and colored pencils, or even Crayons and practicing drawing frequently will improve your drawing technique immensely. The article I wrote on the Book Review about Drawing Real PeopleBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 12/11/08 11:00 AM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Don't know about my creativity drawing-wise - just so impressed with getting charming original images online! Well Done! Actually, i like both methods.

Creativity in life and education (and writing lol !)is vital!

Gecko
Gecko
No drawings so I decided to post this little guy I made

Oh yes I do have something painted with red.....

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Tooooooo Coooooool. I love the Santa you made. Love it! And the Tree is adorable. The pictures are most appropriate at this time. Thank you so much for posting them. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Very cute!! I love the Santa's face!

Yes I was going to do Blue next, I have everything set up by the couch to do it. I'm in an Origami frenzy right now trying to get a few rush orders done and when they are set I'll do a page of blue drawings.

Deb - talk with Jeanne about how to post images, she can walk you through it step by step.

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
I collect colbalt blue stuff...i'm ready...lol

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
Lisa I am just now learning paper folding and I love it. Not up to the origami yet, just the simple folded paper you put together to make stars and pinwheels. I always thought this looked so hard, but once you learn the basic folds it is easier. Still not sure I could do origami though. I made my Christmas cards this year for the first time.
Lisa the drawings are great. I especially like the apple. And Rdywenur, I love that christmas tree.
I guess I do have a study in red. I am a gourd artist and my favorite gourd is done in a red wood stain. Not sure how to load a pic though.

Gecko
Gecko
Bylen.....if your making stars you are doing origami laugh

To post a photo you must have a host site such as photobucket. (free to register and then upload your foto there. Then copy code for the photo to post in a forum (usually starts with IMG) Once you copy the code then go to your post on the forum and insert the code in your post. (preview first to make sure it is what you wanted to post) You can't post from your hard drive.

Last edited by rdywenur; 12/18/08 03:50 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
I love gourds. There was a lady here in my town who used to be a graphic artist and started to paint gourds. I have several of hers and especially love the faces. Also how she will look at the shape and then create the design to compliment the shape of the particular gourd as in the first one..an elf...or the last a big fat santa and the top of the gourd to be part of his cap.

[URL=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Last edited by rdywenur; 12/22/08 11:08 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Those are really cool gourds!

Yes to show images here, load them into any one of the online free image hosting companies out there. Once you do that, tell us where it is!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.