Print Thread
#464641 10/30/08 10:12 PM
A
Angie Online Content OP
Chimpanzee
OP Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
The spelling may be a bit off. The plant is several years old and it nearly bloomed for me this year while it was out on the deck. I've brought it in but am not sure about pruning it for the winter. It is viney and gets leggy looking for the sun.

Help.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Angie #467317 11/10/08 09:45 PM
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Dipladenia is better known as a Mandevilla. It needs a ton of sun so there isn't anything you can do about it getting leggy.

I don't know if I would prune it back if its already indoors: it won't be able to acclimate as easily as it would have if it had a few more weeks outdoors.

Try to keep the humidity up around it during the winter so it doesn't lose too many leaves. It will bounce back when you put it outside again next spring, as I'm sure you saw it do last spring.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
A
Angie Online Content OP
Chimpanzee
OP Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
OK, I'll nurse it along and wait until spring. How do you prune it - how far back is safe. It was loaded with blossoms when I received it but I only had one this summer and at the end of the summer at that. We have plenty of sun, heat, and humidity here.
When should I fertilize also?

Thanks for the name and the information.

Angie #469193 11/17/08 09:25 PM
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
When you bring it inside, watch to see how much it grows. You shouldn't need to fertilize it at all during the winter if the growth slows down. If you aren't sure, fertilize weakly when you water every other week or so.

I'm sorry I can't give you a precise point at which to prune it: it depends on how many leaves it loses. You don't want the plant to end up bare, so prune conservatively. You can always trim back some more if you need to.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I was able to keep a dipladenia alive in a south facing window through two winters. I'd get a flower now and then, nothing much, then it would thrive out on the deck all summer. If it was my plant I don't think I'd prune it, just wrap the long branches around the plant or hanger and leave it. My dipladenia looked just like a Mandevilla but the leaves and flowers were both smaller than a regular Mandevilla. I love them both.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OK - y'all know by now that I am the plant-killer on these forums, but every time I look at this post I keep thinking yoiu guys are talking about some disease instead of a plant!

I swear it sounds like something with a fever and itchy.

maybe this is why I can't grow anything...

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Michelle,
Do a Google images search on Dipladenia and you will see what a beautiful plant it is.

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.