Next Thread
Print Thread
#463969 10/28/08 05:36 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
In Australia there certainly have never been any rules about a deaf person driving. However, in some other countries such as China and India there has been. While this may seem discriminatory it could be seen as logical because in these countries drivers do not use indicators to show where they are heading. Nor do they drive in the lanes on the roads but just anywhere they feel like it and there is a spare space! Because of this the driver coming up behind you toots his horn as an indication for you to get over or to warn you that he is going to pass you. Without hearing you wouldn't be warned and could have an accident because you were unaware. Signs on trucks actually say use your horn to let me know you are passing (and flick your headlights at night!) Consequently driving in these places is very noisy and deaf people would probably find it difficult.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Felicity
Deafness
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Where I live, the only "exception" for deaf drivers is that they must have have both a right and left outside mirror. Frankly, I think all drivers should be required to have both mirrors. I use mine all the time (I'm hearing).

I live in an area with a large-ish population of deaf residents. We are a small area with a "deaf college." I don't notice bad drivers who are hearing impaired ... I notice stupid drivers. You know the ones ... they think they can text while driving, or are too busy doing things other than driving. But ... that's another post smile

On another note -- I was an interpreter for a while. I quit for my own reasons but .... my then-husband and I were in a store shopping, I asked him if he had any money, he said he had a check, I said no, do you have any money (I didn't want to write a check and this was before ATMs and check cards ... man does that age me or what?!). We continued on this vein, lack of communication on all fronts ... mainly because he wasn't hearing me and I couldn't think of the word "cash" ... so, to communicate better, I signed to him while I was speaking (I still sign when I'm frustrated LOL). He said "I'm not deaf you don't have to sign." I said, "Then, quit acting like you can't hear me!" Needless to say ... that shopping trip turned out to not be fun LOL.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Interesting Sara. To my knowledge there are no restrictions on deaf drivers in Australia. I have just had cataract surgery and I asked my optometrist now that I have one good eye I don't need to wear glasses for long distance... however, I still have one eye which doesn't see so well for long distance. He laughed and said 'no. you can drive... you can get a licence here even if you are blind :-)"

Felicity
Deafness
Gecko
Gecko
Well, that would help explain why drive-up ATMs have Braille on them LOL

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
LOL - absolutely

Felicity
Deafness

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.