Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#451053 09/09/08 12:04 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Ok. So she decided to have five kids. That's wonderful. But is she really working at raising them? I mean, if you decide to have children, that's great, but do your job, right? My mother worked hard raising us and by the way, teaching us abstinence and we followed it. But she had to shelter us and watch us, monitor what we watched and listened to, and talk to us to keep us pure and innocent. I think it's more important for a mom to stay home with the kids when they are teenagers even than when they are younger. A father could do it too, but he works also. I just don't get who is watching and guiding the children, especially the one who got pregnant. Parenting is a big decision not to take lightly.

I guess I just don't like her. She is very critical of others and it brings it out in me, I guess. I like the more positive outlook of the Democrats. Their convention was happy.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
happyas2 #451653 09/11/08 02:49 PM
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Hi happyas2 - I think you have touched on the debate that will rage on for centuries. Working mom vs. SAHM (stay at home mom). While I do believe it's important for a parent, mom or dad, to be around for the kids, I'm not sure that it's necessary for them to be around all day, every day. Perhaps when they are young, but not when they are teens. I believe that part of being a parent is teaching your children independence and critical thinking so they can grow into self-reliant adults.

I also believe that preaching abstinence goes against nature, and well, let's face it, even with our sophisticated technology and complex social structure, we're still animals. We have developmental stages and our hormones start to rage around the time we are teenagers. So perhaps the better bet would be to teach both - safe sex practices as well as abstinence. I find it pathetic that even in the face of rising teen pregnancy statistics (and with Sarah Palin's personal experience with her daughter) that Republicans, the religious right and all those focus on the family type groups are still touting abstinence as the ONLY way to go in sex ed.

Last edited by Froggy_Moo; 09/11/08 06:13 PM.
Froggy_Moo #451668 09/11/08 04:23 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Froggy_Moo
Hi happyas2 - I think you have touched on the debate that will rage on for centuries. Working mom vs. SAHM (stay at home mom).

I know this is the MNK forum, but this part of the debate kind of touches on what I am (SAHM) - so I hope y'all don't mind if I step in and give my 2 cents worth.

My oldest son has Asperger's syndrome, and throughout his school career (he's a Jr now) I have had to act as his advocate on all levels, making sure he gets the help and schooling he needs.

A few years ago I joined a parent support group for kids on the autism spectrum, and found out that much of the work I had been doing alone, was being done by this group on a state government level. Trying to push legislation through that will make it possible for our kids to have as normal as possible lives. And there are groups like this for all sorts of disabilities and minorities. AND the majority of these groups are spearheaded by Moms - because we are the ones who see what our kids go through and push the hardest to make changes.

So it is not surprising that more and more women, that are mothers, are stepping into the political arena. For years the American people have said that we need someone in the WhiteHouse who understands what the average family goes through. Sarah Palin may not be it, there are obviously more issues to weigh than just the fact that she does have a special needs child, but she is a step in the right direction.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
happyas2 #451673 09/11/08 05:06 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: happyas2
Ok. So she decided to have five kids. That's wonderful. But is she really working at raising them? I mean, if you decide to have children, that's great, but do your job, right? My mother worked hard raising us and by the way, teaching us abstinence and we followed it. But she had to shelter us and watch us, monitor what we watched and listened to, and talk to us to keep us pure and innocent. I think it's more important for a mom to stay home with the kids when they are teenagers even than when they are younger. A father could do it too, but he works also. I just don't get who is watching and guiding the children, especially the one who got pregnant. Parenting is a big decision not to take lightly.

I guess I just don't like her. She is very critical of others and it brings it out in me, I guess. I like the more positive outlook of the Democrats. Their convention was happy.

I'm totally with you, happyas2. Motherhood is a full time job. And honestly, from what I have seen, I can't claim that Sarah Palin is a good mother. She is proudly sending her 19 year old son off to war, while he sat there looking utterly terrified at the RNC. My son is 22, and I would rather die than see him go to Iraq. Her youngest daughter kept licking her hand and rubbing it over the babies hair. And there is the pregnant daughter. It seems like there is some weird parenting going on, there, and she needs to be focusing on making things good at home. Besides if you are a weird parent I'm not sure I want you running my country. If that makes any sense... confused

Shay

Y
Amoeba
Amoeba
Y
First let me say that I am not a mother (by choice) and I am not even a supporter of Sarah Palin for VP. But I am left wondering...and maybe I have missed something here... if it was her husband running for VP, would this still be an issue?

I can only imagine how scary it would be for a mother to have her child go to war. Although, if it was his decision to join the military, then I would be proud that he has chosen to serve our country. I have plenty of family and friends that have been in the military, including a cousin who is on his third term in Afghanistan right now. I am scared for him and for what could happen, obviously, but I am proud that he is serving for me and for the rest of us as well.

I also agree that teaching abstinence is somewhat against nature. I think it does need to be taught though, but we have to be realistic and teach safe sex along with it. Because, just like most other things, one thing doesn't work for everyone. And I believe no matter what is taught to kids, no matter their up-bringing, no matter how good they are in school.. sometimes they are going to just do what they want to do. I don't think having a pregnant teenage daughter proves that you are a bad mother or a weird mother.

I haven't really focused on Gov. Palin's children that much to see if she seems like a good mother or a bad mother. That really isn't something for me to judge anyway.

yota
happyas2 #457047 10/05/08 07:49 AM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
As a child-free woman, I am used to being told what I am not doing right. I do not agree with Sarah Palin on most things, but I do want to say that I don't think we need to judge her parenting skills just as we don't want to be judged on our lifestyle. This is a political election and not a parenting contest. You have the right to question but I don't think that is a huge factor here.

I was taught abstinence until marriage my whole life, as was my brother. Neither of us followed through although I had every intention of doing so; however, both of us have been smart about it. Regardless of what mothers teach their children, each child is its own person. They will do what they want; the mother's teachings may only factor in how the child feels about what they are doing.

If Sarah Palin and McCain win the election, it will be up to her family to raise the kids and that is that. I'm not going to judge her on what she does or does not do in her parenting. I'm not saying you are, necessarily, I just think that as a group the child-free are severely judged and therefore we don't need to be doing the same to others.

TimsGirl139 #457335 10/06/08 03:40 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Here, here. It's not up to us judge the personal home lives of these people. I may think Palin is a nutty choice to run for such a high office, but it's not b/c of her home situation.

Jilly #458069 10/09/08 01:37 PM
K
K
I dislike Sarah Palin strongly, mostly due to her anti-choice stance, even against birth control, but also this smugness that seems to just eminate from her. A "regular hockey mom?" making more than $150K yearly, not to mention all her kickbacks, etc. from the oil companies from raping land in her home state?

Not to mention her lack of experience in politics. She may be a good Mrs. America contestant, but not for VP.

*bleh* No thanks.

Tarah

happyas2 #461625 10/21/08 06:37 PM
C
C
the truth about " mrs" governor sarah palin is this.[ she's definitely NOT worthy of the title of Ms.!] what she does with that baby of here with the downs syndrome is all a ploy to convince the right wing " christian" voters, often those with limited thinking capabilities; that john mc jerko and she stand for so caled " family values". but they really don't and well, all that stinking baby of her's is , happens to be a PROP! even my 87 year old mom says that it's "sickening" the way she carries that baby around on her shoulder way past his bedtime! she may talk about " helping the handicapped children" , true. but when it really comes down to helping children, especially special-education ones like her baby, and I when I was a child; you need to raise taxes! not cut them like john mc jerko-lantern, the man responsible for the USS forestal fire back in vietnam war 1967; will do! new york state has high taxes supposedly " driving away businesses", but they do have BOCES; which, next to maybe calif.; is the best special ed system in america!

L
L
I read your comments and I was suprised that your cutting this women apart ( Sarah Palin ) They have placed this clause about NOT making you wrong for choosing a life with no children, ( I would not ) and yet you sound like jealous high school gossip over the choice that this women has made to run for political office. I stay home with my Son, I would not think of doing that differently.That's a choice I made. Why so much anger? ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.