Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
StephaniePortman154, onefabulousof, nicpill, Nicole Scotte, zyad
57390 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57390 Members
417 Forums
113447 Topics
805442 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 688
Beetlemess 265
Jana - Creativity Editor 177
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 157
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 80
Susan - Meditation Editor 48
Nancy Roussy 44
Mona - Astronomy 44
Dianne W - Editor 39
Sandra Investing/HFinance 34
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#195062 - 06/06/05 09:15 PM Surviving Hurricane Ivan
firefly Offline
Gecko

Loc: Lower Alabama
Living on the water in NW Fla, the salt water destroyed homes and yards. It was interesting to see that the very salty, oily, sewagy water that moved my neighbors boat into another neighbors pool on top of their car (!) did not kill some of the plants. Specifically, my narcissus, daffodils, scilla, wild onions, gladiolus and crocosmia all survived and returned to bloom this year. The Anthony Waterer spirea survived. The mexican petunia survived. The agapanthus were truly amazing, I don't think anything will kill them. Apparently these are very salt tolerant and very hardy. The hybrid roses died but the miniature trailing varieties survived. I recommend all of these to anyone living anywhere, not just on the seashore. The amaryllis also survived. Everything is blooming or has already. The water came in my house which is twelve feet above ground, we are talking about a lot of salt water that these plants endured. The storm washed the beach sunflowers helter skelter, and the seeds have germinated everywhere, even in the marsh. And parsley seeds from my courtyard (interior of house) got washed into the marsh; my neighborhood is enjoying the garden in the marsh.

Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Twitter Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Facebook Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to MySpace Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Del.icio.us Digg Surviving Hurricane Ivan Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Yahoo My Web Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Google Bookmarks Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Stumbleupon Add Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Reddit
#195063 - 06/07/05 07:19 AM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan
conniem Offline
Koala

Loc: oklahoma
I could not even imagine something like that! The worst of Mother Nature we get here are the tornadoes and thank God we haven't had one here in years.

Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Twitter Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Facebook Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to MySpace Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Stumbleupon Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Reddit
#338642 - 09/05/07 10:50 AM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan [Re: conniem]
francesL Offline

That is an amazing fact. And it is so cool that you are so cool and observant about what must have been a horrible ordeal.

Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Twitter Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Facebook Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to MySpace Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Stumbleupon Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ivan to Reddit
#454651 - 09/24/08 09:40 PM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike [Re: francesL]
Kimmie08 Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Texas
Firefly, I am still recovering from Hurricane Ike just a few weeks ago. Our beautiful downtown is still in shambles. thank God the best medical center in the world is up and running. My landscape was effected but only partial but I had a lot of cleanup. I don't have to go into detail 'cause I'm sure you all saw it on the news about Texas, Galveston and Houston but to have gone through winds up to 95 mph with rain drops that sounded like hail at the windows all from 2 a.m-9a, that was quite frightful. We endured twelve long hours of pre-hurricane winds up to 95 mph. Our trees bent like rubber bands and people are still looking for parts of their interior. I don't think they will allow beach housed on the Gulf anymore due to the deaths and the non-cooperation of people being asked to leave during these kind of storms. Yeah, Hurrican Ike did a beating on Houston and more on surrounding areas like Galveston Bay with up to 125 mph. I'll never forget it. Never! What fear....

Edited by Kimmie - Bulb Garden Lady (09/24/08 09:40 PM)

Bulb Gardening website
Bulb Gardening forum

Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Twitter Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Facebook Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to MySpace Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Stumbleupon Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Reddit
#459360 - 10/14/08 06:42 PM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike [Re: Kimmie08]
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
Hurricanes can do some strange things. We lived just south of Charleston when Hugo struck in 1989. We didn't get storm surge, but we did loose over 100 trees on the property. The first Spring afterwards Gladiolas popped up everywhere. I guess the bulbs blew in with the winds.

Good luck to you Kimmie in your recovery. I know how long and frustrating it will be. With Hugo, for me the scariest part were the two days prior. We lived in a rural area and all the animals fled. It was dead still and too quiet to sleep. Hugo was BAD, and many in Charleston said they would never stay for another one. That eerie silence strongly enhanced the sense of impending doom. All these years later, those 2 days still seem much, much longer than the 12+ hours of the storm.
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Twitter Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Facebook Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to MySpace Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Stumbleupon Add Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike to Reddit
#459370 - 10/14/08 07:17 PM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike [Re: Jane - Native American]
Claybird Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Indiana
My DD lives in Key West, and her yard was under salt water twice during the summer of Katrina and Wilma. Lots of her plants died and others, like the hibiscus, died down to the ground but grew back after a while. The big surprise was the appearance of many papaya trees in her yard the next year, their seeds must have floated in with the dead fish.
In all, it took her yard, and Key West in general, at least 2 years to start looking normal again.

#459864 - 10/16/08 10:40 AM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike [Re: Claybird]
Kimmie08 Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Texas
Whewww...just reading you guys articles, just takes me back to that moment 9/13/08. I'll never forget it and my respect for God and nature has humbled me even more and showed me how insignificant man really is. Sometimes, we really forget. Thanks ladies and happy harvest.

Bulb Gardening website
Bulb Gardening forum

#460195 - 10/17/08 10:18 AM Re: Surviving Hurricane Ike [Re: Kimmie08]
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
I think living through a bad storm changes "Landscapes" in both our yards and our hearts. Hurricane Hugo was 19 years ago. For those of us who lived through it, it is definitely still with us.

However devastating, over the years, it has also been a reinforcing life experience. As with you, my humbleness at the powers of God's Creation, the values of self-sufficiency and helping others, were definitely reinforced for me.

We live even closer to the coast now, but are vastly more prepared for a storm, both for ourselves and our neighbors. I have a deeper respect for Nature's wondrously intricate cycles, and enjoy an "undamaged" landscape much more thoroughly.

The resilience of Nature constantly amazes me. We went to the Okeefenokee Swamp last December, after the Spring's devastating fires. The beauty in it's recovery was awe inspiring. Both Nature and the survivors of a natural disaster take time and patience to heal and restore.

My sincerest hope is, with time, this will also be a restoring, reinforcing life experience for you.
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Moderator:  designingwithflowers 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
ADD and Planning a Pleasant Holiday
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Salad Time
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
03:11 PM
We Chose Spain as a Family Friendly Destination
by Tiffiny - Family Travel
Family Travel
01:52 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
01:03 PM
Wavelight
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
11:56 AM
Massachusetts Audubon Photography Contest
New England Travel
11:52 AM
What do you Have for Breakfast?
Low Carb
10:50 AM
What Yoga did you Do Today?
Yoga
10:45 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
09:22 AM
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating Book Review
by Jori-ND Editor
Neuromuscular Diseases
07:41 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (shanlung), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.