Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C.C. Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi,

Has anyone used nasal irrigation with salt water on a long term basis to help allergies? Are there any side effects on doing this?

I like to hear about your experience.

Thanks.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Ooooh, I'd like to know too! I'm currently in the midst of some pretty intense allergy symptoms! I've rinsed, but not tried the irrigation.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

C.C. Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Anyone? confused

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Is this thing on :::she taps microphone:::

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
LOL!

My BIL swears by his. He has horrid allergies, and used to get sinus infections all the time. But ever since he started using one of those irrigation systems, he's had hardly any.

He talked my hubby into getting one. The last few days we have spent cleaning out our basement - a horribly dirty/dusty/midewy job. David was snuffling and sneezing his head off, so he tried the irrigation thing, and it gave him a lot of instant relief. Better than Benadryl does any day.

My problem with it is it tends to kick on mymigraines. I don' know if it is because I tense up so much when I try to use it or what. it just feels very unnatural to do this to me. So I am sure it has more to do with me than the system. Everyone else in the family gets really good results.

They just use a really simple saline/water mix.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C.C. Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Thanks Michelle, I think I might give it a try... My allergies are so bad that I practically sneeze at everything i.e. grass, dust mites, dog hair, perfume... you name it. There used to be an old joke among my coworkers when I used to work outside of the home, "When you hear the sneeze, you know Cara is around!" cry

Ah...chooooooo! Ah..ah...ahh.......chooooooooooooo!!!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Hi Cara,
I want to add my two-cents' worth on nasal irrigation with a Neti Pot or homemade one from a recycled dish soap detergent container. I've been doing sinus irrigation for three years with positive results. My stuffiness is less; sneezing almost non-existent; and post-nasal drip much reduced. It works for many, many people, and they report they no longer have to take medication. I guess it depends on the severity of your allergies. In my case, the only thing it doesn't help with is sinus headaches when I get them. So I have to use a nasal spray in conjunction and that does the trick.

It does require a time commitment. I do it three times a day (morning, noon and bedtime). It does take a few times to get the hang of it and get used to warm, salty water going through your nose. I'd advise you to give it a few tries and see what you think. You don't even need to invest in a Neti Pot. Like I said, you can use a thoroughly cleaned out old dish soap bottle and some regular Morton's non-iodized sea salt.

Here's some links to a few articles I've posted on the Allergies and Colds page about sinus irrigation.

"Neti pots offer allergy relief"BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Sheree-Allergies; 10/17/08 01:54 PM.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
C.C. Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Thank you Sheree! I will give it a try. They are interesting and informational articles. smile

J
Koala
Koala
J
I've been doing sinus irrigation for about 7 years. I use a baby ear bulb syringe. I just put a little salt or baking soda in a cup, add warm water and irrigate. Cheaper than the neti pot and the irrigation stuff you buy for it.

I went from having sinus infections and serious allergies to having no sinus problems or allergies at all. If it start getting a cold, I irrigate some extra and if I get a cold, this clears out my sinuses.

I never take any medications for colds and they usually only last a day or two.

My dad too started using just a little bottle of saline to irrigate his sinuses daily and he's stopped having allergies and sinus infections too.

N
N
I definitely think it helps.
Himalayan Crystal Salt + Neti Pot is the way to go.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I make my own Saline/water mix. It does help.
Watch your blood pressure, mine went up because i was using to much salt to often.

Rosie L
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Hey, I have another use for a bulb syringe. My doctor said part of the reason I sometimes get sinus infections during the winter is my ears don't drain properly; thus causing my sinuses not to drain. I end up getting sinus headaches and then the dreaded sinus infection. But now I use an ear bulb syringe to irrigate my ears every three days or so with warm water. In addition, every week I put a few drops of mineral oil or Debrox into my ears to keep them draining. Helps alleviate the headaches and long-term, hopefully the infections. Oh, and of course, I use my Neti Pot two to three times daily.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sheree-Allergies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 06:17 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.