Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#458572 10/11/08 05:04 PM
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
This is the place for our October Virtual Guild discussions, questions, and sharing.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
Hi Llyn,

Alrighty...I've got my pattern and a washed sample skein. I've kept track of all my numbers from raw grease sample to washed clean sample and again after processing and spinning. Now I'm at the part where I need to figure out how much yarn I need. I know there is a chart somewhere that lists how many Wraps per inch = fingering or DK or sport weight yarn but I can't find a copy of that information. My pattern calls for 450 yards of soft fingering weight yarn. I want to verify that my skein is the right size for the pattern. Is that information posted here on Bella? Oh and I still need to make a swatch, and I know my skein is measuring 16 wpi. I'm just wondering if this is fine enough for my scarf pattern.

Thank you...Nikki

N
N
Hi Llyn,

Oh geezz...I see I didn't read far enough into your Monthly guild article. You gave a link right there with the information I needed. Sorry and thanks again for linking that information.

Guess I'd better read your article about 6 times, before I ask a question...grin

nikki

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Hi Nikki,

Let me know if you have any problems with those links. They should be working OK now.

Is your yarn plied? If so, you are in size range 2, which is sports weight yarn. Given that your pattern calls for fingering, sports, or DK weight yarn, I'd say your yarn is well within the range for the pattern smile

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
N
N
Yes Llyn, ,

The links are working well for me. And yes my yarn is plied (3 ply). I did save some carded roving if I needed to make a smaller yarn. I did see where my yarn sample is falling in Catagory 2 or your article on Standard yarn sizes.

This sample I'm working on is Cormo, You wrote: "You may wish to sample different breeds, fibers, blends, and spinning techniques before deciding on the perfect combination for your project". I think I'm going to swatch a bit of Shetland I spun earlier in a fingering weight, because while I love the softness of the Cormo, It isn't going to produce a halo like the yarn in my pattern picture. I'm not sure if the Shetland will halo any better, but think your comment is wise and I'm going to try a couple of other yarns to see which I like best.

Nikki

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Hmmm.....none of my Shetland stuff has haloed.

What yarn does the pattern call for? Any indication of the breed of sheep used to spin the commercial yarn or any notes about a blend?

One sure way to get some haloing is to blend in some angora. If you do blend in angora, then it's best not to wet finish the yarn before knitting as the haloing makes it difficult to frog should that be necessary.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
For my project, I'm going to make a tradition Shetland Hap shawl.
I'm starting with already prepared fibers simply because I have 2 storage bins full of different natural colors of Shetland roving in the stash and it's high time that I used some of it up.

My pattern is from "Heirloom Knitting's Shetland Hap Shawls Then & Now" by Sharon Miller. This is my first Hap so I'm following the instructions for the Morag shawl.

One of the problems this pattern has for spinners is that it does not give yardage requirements. I decided to make my shawl with jumper weight yarn and had some Shetland jumper weight in my knitting yarn stash so I tool a piece and separated the plies to make a control card for spinning my singles. Then I looked up the weight and yardage of the same yarn in a knitting catalog and computed the yards per pound for commercially spun jumper weight Shetland yarn. Since the pattern gives the actual weight of each shade of yarn used, I was able to compute the yardage requirements for each of my colors.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
N
N
Hi Llyn,

I know in the strictest sense of the word, that Halo, would be described with a Mohair or angora blend. But sometimes there is a bit of halo even in other breeds, but the Cormo I'm working with, no kidding, looks like a cotton yarn. I really don't want to use a mohair or angora blend, but I was looking for a more woollen yarn. I washed, carded and spun this yarn as a woollen yarn, but I think it looks worsted all the way! This is the Cormo I just recently learned how to prepare and it really was/is wonderful to work with a fine clean fleece.

My pattern is a Lace Moebius Scarf designed by Sarah Hauschka. The pattern calls for yarn made by K1C2. I don't know what kind of yarn that is but the picture shows just a hint of a halo. Romney might give me that kind of halo but maybe there is another breed that will give me just a hint of a halo.

Thanks for you help Llyn,

Nikki

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Hi Nikki,

I have that pattern. It calls for Douceur et Soie yarn by Knit One, Crochet Too. That yarn is 70% mohair, 30% silk, it's 18 wpi and a 25 gram ball has 225 yards. From the picture I've found of the yarn, it appears to be lightly brushed. Yarn catalogs are your friends smile

Llyn - Spinning Editor
N
N
Yikes Llyn,

Boy...you really do have that pattern, I wasn't going to attempt to write that yarn name out...grin. I didn't want to make the Moebius scarf out of mohair. And the more I look at this Cormo, the more I like it. I just didn't expect it to be so smooth. What with all the woollen prep I went to I expected it to have more of a halo. I also like the 3 ply and the way it knits up. I think it will look more sturdy that the lace Moebius in the picture. I've got a whole month to think about this awhile and I would like to really learn this lesson, so am willing to try a few more samples before I make my decision.

Thanks for all that information on the yarn for that pattern. I didn't know that it was mohair...should have figured that. I'm not brave enough just yet, to try using a mohair and lace pattern at the same time...LOL

Nikki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.