Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Jason thanks for going out of your way and calling the store. Well i cooked it up this morning.
It said on the package to rinse it first in a strainer. well i stood there looking at these little itty bitty things and wondered if they would just flow right threw the holes of my strainer, so to be safe i lined the strainer with paper towels, now i'm wondering where every thing will rinse off to its all just sitting in a strainer full of water. lol (grandma can't cook)
Well i ended up just cooking it like oatmeal smile and i couldn't think of any thing fancy to do with it so i ate it like oatmeal i added honey to it.
Not for nothing but I think i will just stick to plain old oatmeal. its cheaper and nothing fancy.
Jason is it suppose to be eaten like oatmeal?
Hope your enjoying time with your family; Hurry back

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
"Rosie" #452280 09/14/08 11:11 AM
Shark
Shark
Hey Rosie,

I am thoroughly enjoying my family!

I would say that eating it like oatmeal is my least favorite ways sick to eat it. I don't find that it delivers the flavor that I care for in that form.

I prefer it savory.

did you get a chance to see my article on quinoa? smile

Shark
Shark
I've got to run but I'll plug back in as soon as I'm able. We should be back in town by tomorrow late afternoon/early evening.

God bless guys. wink

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Rosie -

One of the easiet ways to rinse quinoa is to line a small colander with a coffee filter. Then you don't have to worry about the quinoa washing through the holes - or the paper towels getting stuck to the grains!

And quinoa really has a very nutty, earthy taste - so it is a lot better (in my opinion) if it is cooked savory rather than sweet.

A real easy thing to do would be to throw some minced garlic in olive oil on the stovetop - then toss in the rinsed quinoa and sautee until the grain is golden. Then add vegetable stock to it, and a little soy sauce. Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes until the liquid is abosrbed.

This is a very simplified version of the recipe I posted earlier - but it will give you an idea of what the grain tastes like, and it doesn't take a whole lot of prep time.

Last edited by ChelleLaunch&Spirituality; 09/14/08 11:37 AM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Michelle, hope your having a good week end

Rosie L
"Rosie" #458440 10/10/08 09:17 PM
Shark
Shark
Hey Rosie,

Another way my wife and I cook the quinoa when we're in a hurry is to put allof the ingredients in the same pot with it and bring it up to a boil cover it and reduce it to a very low simmer until all ofthe liquid is absorbed and then we tend to leave it on for a little bit longer to give it that character and texture that we're so used to in our grains. We don't think there's many worse things than soggy grains so we remedy that by seasoning them well and not over saturating them.

Unlike a lot of the recipes, where they will say 2 parts liquid to 1 part grain, we've found that the flavor is far more intense when we add more like 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 parts liquid to 1 part grain. It keeps the flavor from being diffused too far into the dish.

Some of the things you may use in your quinoa are slivered tri-color peppers, onions, garlic, peas, raisins, cilantro, mint, etc.

Let me know how that turns out. wink

Zebra
Zebra
I made quinoa this week to accompany some adzuki beans. I just cooked the quinoa in beef broth instead of water and added some garlic & onion powder. Veggie broth would work just as well, I'm sure. I use it, too, but I had a can of beef broth on hand.

Sorry veggies, I'm still omnivorious. crazy

BellaDeb #458561 10/11/08 04:09 PM
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Maybe I'll give it another try. wink

Rosie L
BellaDeb #468954 11/16/08 08:41 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I am happy to say that I baked traditional macaroni and cheese for a pot-luck last week with gluten free quinoa and cornmeal noodles, and it was a big hit. smile The macaroni noodles were new at my local coop, and the brand name is "Ancient Harvest." They also had quinoa and cornmeal lasagna pasta which I would like to try...

Shay

Shannon L. Wolf #468988 11/17/08 12:09 AM
Shark
Shark
Niice Shay, grin

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to see if I can find that over this way. Sounds very interesting and tasty.

Did the noodles take any getting use to? or did they taste like regular pasta?
confused

How would you describe them?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.