logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Have you started knitting for the holidays or the coming winter? I know in my mind I have about 5 people I want to knit for this winter, but haven't cast on a stitch!

How about you?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
W
Hi I have as I have 29 children to knit for, but I have done 10 already and on the next one but they all love getting something from me especially their mums

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
What kinds of things are you knitting for them?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Gecko
Gecko
No don't do holiday knitting although I had this great pattern bookmarked for a Christmas Stocking (which I have never done but was going to attempt) Lost it when my PC crashed a few months ago. I did buy some fun fur to make a scarf. I do these as they are easy and quick and then give them away to family and close friends. I just sent one to my aunt and cousin last week to Poland. Wonder if they have fun fur there. Hmmmmmmmm!!!!! =^..^=

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I have 4 scarves completed for my daughter to give as Christmas presents to her friends and roommates, 1 afghan for the VA hospital is almost done, and I've got the yarn ready for another smaller one. However, several of my friends are pregnant and due soon, so I've been tied up with baby knitting. And we are expecting our first Grandchild in January, so I've got to get started on something for him. I've been holding off for the last few weeks, as we'll be visiting with my Mother-in-law this month. She's promised to teach me her family's knitting style which is much faster. I guess this Southern girl will be knitting up a "New England Style" storm next month.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Christmas stockings make fun heirlooms, but the ones I've made I've lined with fabric which has kept them from growing!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Okay, I'm stunned. That is a lot of knitting. I'll be interested to hear how your mother-in-law knits. Do you know if it is continental perhaps?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I don't even know what style of knitting I do! I taught myself from a book back in my early 20's and picked it up again 2 years ago when my Grandmother was in the hospital. The rest of the family was crocheting dish cloths for the nursing staff. I can't crochet, so I stocked up at Jo-ann's and started knitting them. Needless to say, my Grandmother got GREAT care! Everyone wanted a dish cloth, so the staff checked in with us frequently.

To form the stitch, I use my arm to wrap the yarn around the needle. My Mother-in-law somehow holds the yarn in her left hand, and catches it with the needle to form the stitch. I watched her do it only once last year, and it completely confounded me. She told me I was doing what she calls "Twisted Knitting." I burst into laughter, as I've definitely been called "Twisted" before. But this is the way she originally learned to knit as well. She got very frustrated with how slow it was to move the yarn each time you switched between a purl or knit stitch, so her Grandmother taught her how to hold the yarn to grab it with the tip of the needle in a specific way for either a purl or knit stitch. All of my husband's family are rather recent immigrants (1920's) from Germany and Portugal, so this may very well be "Continental Style." I'll have to ask her about that. At this point, if it can increase my speed, I'll try anything. I've got a lot more knitting to do in the coming months.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
It definitely sounds like Continental Knitting, there are some great tutorials online, so that when you leave her you'll have something to refer to. It is much faster. I learned to use my left hand when I started a Fair Isle project and am using it now to make a seed stitch shrug for my gran.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
When we return from Daytona, I may need you to forward those tutorial links. As I stated before, I may be returning with more questions than answers. I've been pondering and trying this style for almost a year now and I just can't get my brain to work it out.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
Gecko
I believe what I do is the continental since my mom is from Europe and taught me. I could never get the hang of the American style where you take the yarn wrap it around and then cast it off to the kneedle but that looked faster to me than my continental knitting.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I think that continental is faster, it is especially faster when doing a stitch pattern that alternates between knit and purl, like seed stitch or ribbing. But I have met some people that "throw" who are pretty darn fast smile I guess as with much in life, It Depends grin

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I just got out my Knifty Knitter Loom this morning and am about to launch into my winter scarves mode! hahaha! I love that thing.

Last edited by daisybun; 10/10/08 02:52 PM.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.