logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
[Once you've created your character and PM'd me the details, post their entry into the diner here and interact with whoever else is there. If you're not sure what's going on here, read this thread for details]

Saturday night in Abramton.

Few people remember the name of the town that used to be at the crossroads near the Maine coast. The only reminder is the filling station and the diner, both run by the Gillespies, a family that has its roots in old Abramton.

These days, Saturday night at the crossroads means little more than a few extra bachelor farmers coming in for a meal they didn't have to cook themselves, along with whatever travelers happened to be passing through around dinner time.

It's Saturday night, around 10pm. The rain is pouring down outside, making the diner seem a refuge from the deluge.

The majority of the travelers have finished dinner and left, continuing their journey from point A to point B. A couple of farmers are still in the diner, along with a traveler who seems content to take her time.

Jacob Fishman sits at the counter, his bible open in front of him. He sips at coffee as he reads, an empty plate that once contained apple pie beside the book.

Larry Andrews also sits at the counter, talking animatedly with Mike Gillespie, the owner and head cook.

"I tell you Mike," Larry says, "It's all because of them Democrats, you give 'em an inch and they'll steal the fillings right out of your teeth!"

Mike nods and wipes at the counter, his attitude that of a man listening to a familiar recording.

The traveler is a young woman, probably college aged, with a backpack on the ground beside her and an open notebook on the table in front of her.

Lightning flashes, and thunder shakes the plate glass of the diner's windows.

Last edited by Jay - RPG; 10/19/08 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
As if she could see just fine, the blind waitress brought a cup of coffee to the girl sitting alone at a table. "Here ya go, sweetie. It'll keep your insides warm." She gave a smile and turned and walked over to the older gentleman, refilling his cup. "There ya go. Pie's good, isn't i?" She smiled to him and gave a wink, though, her face wasn't exactly looking at him. It was dark in that corner--very difficult to see the shadowy outline. She turned and headed back to Jacob as Larry began to wax political. "May I take your plate, Jacob?" She reached for the empty plate.

"It's all because of them Democrats, you give 'em an inch and they'll steal the fillings right out of your teeth!" Larry blurted. Rajka stifled a snicker.

"Oh, Larry! Everything's a conspiracy, isn't it," she teased him. "I bet you know who the second gunman on the grassy knoll was, don't you!" She gave a light chuckle and disappeared into the kitchen to put the plate and fork in the dishwasher. Re-emerging, she went over to Larry and Mike, leaning on the counter. "How about another cup of coffee, Larry? Or some more pie?" She smiled again and tilted her head slightly, listening.

The flash of lightning caused her to instantly cover her ears. As the glass shook from the concussion of the thunder, Ray (as she was called) winced slightly. Her hearing had become her sight--and thunder always made her head hurt.

Especially this kind of thunder.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The thunder died, and Larry scowled at the diner in general.

"You laugh, Ray," he says, "but the government's going to hell in a handbasket." Regulars knew that Larry was always good for a cliche filled evening.

"It's the rule of the Lord we should concern ourselves with," Jacob says, uncharacteristically breaking into the conversation.

Larry snorts, and drinks more coffee.

Amoeba
Amoeba
The front door opened and a man walked in, drenched from the rain. His long dark hair lay in flat strands around his head, dripping water onto his over sized trench coat. Stepping inside and closing the door his eyes quickly scan the room, looking unsure. His thick boots clunk less than one would expect.

"You still open?"

He speaks with a city accent, but not from any definite region.

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Mike pauses in wiping the counter as the locals all look at the newcomer, only the college girl staying focused on her notes. Mike glances around at the diner, practically crowded for a Saturday night, especially in this weather.

"Yeah, we're open," he says with a nod. "Sit where you want, Ray'll be by to take your order."

Gecko
Gecko
Ray's ears twitch slightly as she hears the door open. She smiles in the direction of the new comer, then pushes off the counter to fetch a pot of coffee. "I'll be right with you, sweetie!" She offers coffee first to Larry and Jacob, then takes the pot over to the new guy, listening carefully for where he decides to sit.

"Coffee?" She asks sweetly before supplying him with a menu. "It's wet out there. This'll warm you up. May have a bit of a kick. Mike likes to make it strong," she gives a wink and pulls a place setting from her apron's pouch, feeling how many are left. "What can I getchya?"

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Amoeba
Amoeba
Derek sits at a table putting his back to a wall and offering a good view of the room.

He slicks his hair back as best he can and answers, "Yeah, I could use some coffee."

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
The door whipped open again and in walked a large, stocky man wearing a pair of dirty coveralls. He had a red baseball cap on his head that was turned backwards. The sleeves of his coveralls were cut off at the shoulders so his tree trunk arms were naked except for the grease and oil and sweat that covered them.

"Oooh wee. That sure is a gulley washer out there."

"Is that Zeke McCabe?" the waitress asked.

"None other, Darlin'. Give me the usual please." Zeke said as he sat down at the counter. "What brings you out in this mess, Zeke?" the waitress asked as she poured him a coffee with a little Kentucky bourbon in it.

"Well, little Momma, I was out pulling a car from a ditch down the road a piece and figgered I better get my butt into the diner to warm my bones for a bit before heading back to the garage."

He sipped his coffee and talked to the waitress as she served him a big slice of pecan pie. "A lot of people tonight, huh? Storm bring them all in?"

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Ray had no sooner finished pouring the newcomer's coffee when she heard Zeke. She gave a faint grin and a wink to the newcomer, calling over her shoulder in the direction of the door. When asked for his usual, Ray just chuckled. "I'll be right back with you, sweetie," she smiled to the new one then spun around and navigated her way over to Zeke. She listened as she poured the coffee and set the pie on the table in front of him.

"Looks like. Of course, Jacob's always here...and Larry. I think they live here, sometimes!" She chuckled and nodded in the direction of the new comer, "He just seems chilled to the bone, poor thing. Just try not to scare 'im off, Zeke!" She gave a wink and a grin, then excused herself back to the new one. "So, how's a slice of pecan pie sound? If you don't like that, we've got apple, a slice of cherry left, and ...I think sweet potato. I can heat up any of 'em if you want them warm."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Amoeba
Amoeba
Derek followed Zeke with his eyes, sipping his coffee. One hand slowly drifts under the table.

"Cherry's fine. I don't mind it cold."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Leif - Role Playing Games 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.