logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Why Asbestos is a Threat After a Natural Disaster
Asbestos has been used throughout most of the twentieth century in countless construction materials. Over time, many of these materials deteriorate and become damaged due to a number of forces such as renovation, remodeling, or unexpected natural disasters.
Asbestos exposure is a major concern because the material is highly toxic and is known to cause a variety of terminal diseases, including asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma. Unfortunately, these diseases are almost always diagnosed in late stages of development and are highly resistant to treatment. For example, mesothelioma treatments rarely cure the aggressive cancer, and as a result, tend to be more palliative.
How to Prevent Exposure
To help prevent asbestos exposure following a natural disaster, it is important to know what products within the home have the potential to contain this toxic material. The following list includes common construction materials that may contain asbestos:
� Roofing
� Ceiling materials
� Flooring
� Asbestos Siding
� Acoustical plaster
� Insulation
� Pipe covering
� Caulking, spackle, and sealing
� Plumbing
� Asbestos Paneling
� Paint
Homeowners can personally assess their home for asbestos products, but it can be very difficult to determine if a product does contain asbestos. Considering this, it is recommended that a licensed professional abatement contractor is hired to inspect the home for potential sources of asbestos contamination.
Prior to inspection, it is very important to avoid any materials that may contain asbestos. Parents should especially make sure that children in the area do not play with the damaged debris. If asbestos materials are found, the contractor can advise the best and most cost-effective method of remediation that will help prevent exposure in the event of a natural disaster. Homeowners who decide not to contact a professional should:
� Be careful when inspecting the home and be cautious to not disturb any potentially contaminated materials
� Wear protective gear
� Completely wet down all materials that may contain asbestos in order to prevent asbestos dust from rising into the air
For more information on how to prevent asbestos exposure in the wake of a natural disaster, please visit the Mesothelioma Cancer Center�s (www.asbestos.com) pages on asbestos and natural disasters.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Thank you for all the info, I moved into my apartment in 1974 the pipes in my basement were wraped in asbestos when the pipes sprung a leek the maintenance workers would come in tear off the asbestos to seal the pipes. the asbestos was trown on the floor which i later sweep up. no one wore a mask, At the time i didn't know what it was. my children slept in the basement for a few months then i moved my bedroom down in the basement, still not aware of the dangers. finaly years later letters were sent to me and all the tenents that we were not aloud in the basement. Till after it was all removed, same with the lead paint. I still live in the same apartment. I can't believe my children and my self live in such a dangerous situation.

Rosie L
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
That's a terrible story - but one that can probably be told by many families and individuals. Does your doctor take that into consideration at you and your children's yearly check ups?

I am worried about you - can you check the asbestos.com website mentioned and let us know what they recommend?

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Originally Posted By: skyhaven
Thank you for all the info, I moved into my apartment in 1974 the pipes in my basement were wraped in asbestos when the pipes sprung a leek the maintenance workers would come in tear off the asbestos to seal the pipes. the asbestos was trown on the floor which i later sweep up. no one wore a mask, At the time i didn't know what it was. my children slept in the basement for a few months then i moved my bedroom down in the basement, still not aware of the dangers. finaly years later letters were sent to me and all the tenents that we were not aloud in the basement. Till after it was all removed, same with the lead paint. I still live in the same apartment. I can't believe my children and my self live in such a dangerous situation.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Pam thank you for your concern, I have been effected by it, And have respiratory problems, besides Asthma. I am on several medications. My now adult children are ok. It is so irresponsible for those to know there is a danger, and wait so long to remove the danger. My housing development waited till the law said it must be removed.

Rosie L
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Originally Posted By: skyhaven
Pam thank you for your concern, I have been affected by it, and have respiratory problems, besides Asthma. I am on several medications. My now adult children are ok. It is so irresponsible for those to know there is a danger, and wait so long to remove the danger. My housing development waited till the law said it must be removed.

I'm sorry to read that you have long lasting effects from asbestos exposure, but glad that you are keeping on top of it. I'm glad your kids are ok, too.

It's good that we have laws to protect us and I wish we had more inspectors and regulators making sure that everyone complies with the laws we already have. It's too bad that it takes a law to compel individuals and businesses to look out for our own best interests and public health.

It worries me so much to see workers at construction sites where people are remodeling or converting apartments to condos and see that people are not wearing masks when dust is flying around or when they are painting.

I hope that the folks who are so generously using vacation travel and savings to help people recover or rebuild their homes after floods and other natural disasters are well-trained and well-equipped to avoid health hazards.

When we educate ourselves on safety issues for our children, we should also keep in mind that the better care we take of our own health the longer we can be there to encourage and support them. And the best way to encourage them to have hope for the future is to show them how much we enjoy life and take our own medicine.

Take care,

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Mothering Babies
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by SNC_Editor_Pam; 09/30/08 04:43 PM.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.