logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431205 06/29/08 12:25 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm so CHEAP (of course the Politically Correct way to put it is---I'm saving the Earth by recycling these to keep them out of the landfill! cool

For the past 3 months, whenever I have to go to Lowe's for something, I've wound up checking the plant department for plants on sale...and picking up bits and pieces of cacti and succulents off the floor. I always show them to the cashier in the garden center and ask if it's OK to take them or do the company rules say they HAVE to be thrown away...the cashiers always just smile and say they'd just get swept up and tossed so take them.

I actually managed to pick up a perfectly nice couple of 'Firesticks' pencil cactus, a gallon pot of Sanseveria, and a Baby Variegated Rubber Tree Pepperomia on sale cheap because the dirt had been mostly knocked out of the little pots they were in, as well as some very small branches of jade, varigated jade, gollum jade, variegated string of buttons, mini variegated jade (elephant's food) and three little Rhipsalis pieces. Also got several fallen leaves (some with baby plants already started), couple sections of Thimble cactus, some cobweb hens and chicks, and some pink cactus fruit that had been pulled off a cactus.

I repotted the sans, Pencil cactus, and baby rubber tree--with care and a little cactus fertilizer all are putting out new growth. Most of the rest I laid on the surface of the soil in the pots of the others and my San Pedro...some are starting to root and others are thinking about it.

Anybody else do this (or am I just an oddball?)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
what a great idea!
I'm going to start doing that.
smile

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Well, you know they would just throw them away, but I would be too terribly shy to ask if I could have them. But since they were so willing to give them to you, seems like they would be wiling to give hem to another nice smiling person that asked for them. I'm going to try that. Thanks for putting this suggestion on this forum.

L
L
haha - that is how i've acquired a lot of the succulents i have! glad to see i'm not the only one.

A
A
I enjoy picking up the fallen or broken pieces of plants off the floor. It gives me a great joy to nuture them and watch them grow to an adult plant. Old folks use to say the best plants are the ones you take a snip from.

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
What a great idea. I'm always looking for ways to garden economical. Thanks CountryKitty.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.