Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#454613 09/24/08 06:50 PM
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
As some of you know I was raised in the Jehovah's Witness cult and left at age 34. Unless you have been "in" you really don't know what it is like to live that life. The next time JWs knock on your door and want to share the "good news" of a paradise earth and everlasting life with you, please do not encourage them. Instead ask them if they would let their child die rather than accept a blood transfusion. Ask them if someone decides to leave JWs will they be shunned and cut off from friends and family as if they are dead? Then turn them politely away and pray (or whatever you do) for them.

(Please read this former JW's story. Have some tissues handy.

Ruth's story:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I'm sorry for your experience LadyLvsNyt and the experience of Ruth. I'm actually writing an article for the site regarding recognizing cultish behavior.

However, as a member of a minority religion myself I cannot in good conscience call them a cult without more evidence than a website since Pagans are often referred to in such a way.

I don't believe they should proselytize from door to door, but it is part of their belief system. It is part of my belief system to shut the door in their face. To each their own.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 09/25/08 09:13 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I learned the hard way that if you are polite to JW's they keep coming back. So now I just flash my pentacle tattoo and they leave....permanently! grin

I still try to not be rude, but if you come to MY house, INTERRUPT me in what I'm doing, and then try to cram YOUR beliefs down my throat, I think you're setting yourself up for a rude response. We all know where to find them if we're interested, if we're not coming to them I wish they would leave us alone.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I agree Helen. One woman years ago came to my apartment and I told her I wasn't interested. A few days later she came up to my car while I was going to work and knocked on the window. I told her to leave me alone and nearly ran over her (not on purpose, not consciously anyway). wink

But a tattoo is a good idea. I was putting off getting one because of finances. I was going to get a horned god on my back, but now you make me want to put it on my shoulder to be easily flashed to types like that...lol.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 09/25/08 09:19 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Dear Trish,
I do not lightly call JWs a cult or do so out of a sense of vengeance. They ARE a dangerous cult according to the "Advanced Bonewits' Cult Danger Evaluation Frame" or ABCDEF. Here is a pagan website that features this professional tool and explains how it works:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

LadyLvsNyt
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
and the only way a JW won't talk to you is if you admit to having been one and left--usually resulting in a disfellowshipping(I just left was not DFd)or a disassociating(offically writing a letter of separation--I did not do that either--why play by their rules?) and then becoming apostate (teaching against them--me!)
however--you can request of the person at your door that they make a note on the Territory Card/Map that your address be considered a "Do Not Call" or you can call a Kingdom Hall and ask for an elder and make the same request. Then it is still iffy-sometimes the publishers who knock on your door do not actually have the territory card with them but were just given a street to work. And every 2 or 3 years they are instructed to ask you if you still feel the same way--in case you moved and it is someone new there.
otherwise, in the US, JWs won the right to knock on your door in the Supreme Court and they are very proud of that. and they are taught not to take NO for an answer. Pentagrams and black robes didn't chase me away. I even had a guy answer the door naked. I gave Watchtowers to priests! I was tenacious. I grew up on stories of the old timers sticking their foot in the doors!
Ravyn

LadyLvsNyt
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Ravyn,

I have been very well aware of Isaac Bonewits� cult danger evaluation for quite some time and plan on referencing it in my article. On his website even he admits it is flawed. His new version (2.6 or 2.7 depending on which part of his page you look at) is slightly different than the one you posted. Here it is:

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have several friends who are JWs, but they do not preach to me. And living in the south, everyone seems to think they can leave their religious propaganda on your car, mailbox, front door, whatever. When they knock I tell them that jesus is a lovely story book myth. I then point to the no proselytizing sign on the front door and tell them to be glad my 6' atheist husband wasn't home to answer the door.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I hate getting the glossy "To Current Occupant" flyers from churches. I can't help but think how expensive those are to get printed, and how the money could go to a better use than trying to get me to convert to a religion that I will never convert to. Or to at least come to their church, which I won't do because I prefer my back yard, the beach, the State Parks, etc... It's just such a waste when they could do some humanitarian work with that money instead... :p

Originally Posted By: Wendy Tall One
And living in the south, everyone seems to think they can leave their religious propaganda on your car, mailbox, front door, whatever.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
I lived in a town in rural eastern TN that allowed a Revival Tent to set up in the Walmart parkinglot and you had to go thru the tent to get into the store. It was like running a gauntlet! This same town's restaurants accepted various church coupons that they gave out with altar calls! And I had a seriously ill kitten and I was calling to find a vet that could help me on a moments notice and the vet actually asked me which church I attended before he would save my kitten! (I lied to save the kitty's life.)
But JWs are consistent in their proselytizing all over the USA, these other churches it was just in the South. I suspect it might also be in the Mid-west, but I don't know.
Ravyn

LadyLvsNyt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.