Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
dimo, lia hunter, AnaRuggeri, DolphinNose, chrisandiano
58316 Registered Users
Forum Stats
58,316 Registered Members
417 Forums
119,019 Topics
844,830 Posts

Most users ever online: 615 @ 04/22/15 10:11 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Nancy Roussy 243
Mona - Astronomy 129
Celestine - Baptist Editor 50
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading 39
Angie 32
Angela - Drama Movies 24
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 21
Angel S. Class 16
Susan Helene Kramer 15
Korie - California/Yoga/Knitting Editor 13
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#472662 - 12/01/08 10:38 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

If you don't have a "backup" icon:

The first thing to do is to make sure you have your Windows XP fully updated. If you go into Start - All Programs, up at the very top of the list should be a "Windows Update" link. Make sure you're all updated.

Then once you've done that, go into Start - control panel, and into the add/remove programs area. There should be an option there to work with Windows components. Make sure the backup component is checked (it probably isn't). You might poke around in there and see what else you want to enable, there are lots of nifty Windows components that are very useful. That will then get backup running on your system!

#473598 - 12/05/08 05:03 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Okay, i will have to set aside to time to learn to do this. Thanks for the XP info!

#473608 - 12/05/08 06:12 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Jilly]
SpiritualArtist Offline
Gecko

Loc: USA
I would say most people don't know how to back up their computers. Most people aren't computer savvy. My IT husband constantly has to recover data from failed hard drives and it's often the case that all the data can't be recovered. Important University research data goes bye bye all the time as well as dissertations.

I'm somewhat as bad. I back up what I'm working on currently on CD's every now and then. My biggest mistake I make is thinking my little USB memory stick can hold back up data forever! So I save to the hard drive and back up to the USB memory stick and I've done that for about 9 months now. Woops.

#473628 - 12/05/08 06:56 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: SpiritualArtist]
rdywenur Offline
Gecko

I was told that Windows XP does not come with backup by the Dell techs and my tech who fixed my PC when it crashed.

Edited by rdywenur (12/05/08 06:56 PM)

#475268 - 12/13/08 08:27 AM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: rdywenur]
BellaOnline Editor

We have several XP systems in the house and they all have backup as a standard Windows icon - so maybe it's only the Dell specific version that they removed backup from because they want you to rely on their services? Odd!

Setting up a backup plan takes literally 10 minutes at the most - and it can save you MONTHS of work!!

#475270 - 12/13/08 08:29 AM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

In fact right on the Microsoft site here is an article explaining how to use the Microsoft XP Backup Utility smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed (12/13/08 08:30 AM)

#478743 - 12/24/08 04:04 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
rdywenur Offline
Gecko

Where was this piece of info when my PC was crashing (just before final death) Dell techs didn't seem to know this. Can you color me upset. I lost so many files and photos....irreplacable. I should sue them. I have since bought a back up device and it is so simple to use. Just plug it in and it does the work on its own. Now that's my kinda software. laugh (for dummies)

#480529 - 12/31/08 09:45 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: rdywenur]
Felix K. Offline

Hi Friends,
I am new here and I am happy that I can find a lot of userful information on the forum. I also have pc realeted website and I hope it will be good for everyone here)))

#483443 - 01/08/09 11:54 PM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Felix K.]
Lisa Green Offline

Hi My husband helped me install an online backup solution on my laptop. There are many now that are both affordable, simple and automatic. I use www.kabooza.com which has a benefit that I can log into my account at work and look at the picures of my children and even send copies of them to family and friends.. But there are several others. Don't lose all your photos like I did with our first son. I don't know what i will tell him when he gets older... Be Safe!

Edited by Lisa Green (01/08/09 11:55 PM)

#483470 - 01/09/09 02:10 AM Re: Why people don't backup their computers [Re: Lisa Green]
"Rosie" Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Lisa, welcome to the forum, we hope you enjoy your stay smile
Rosie

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Allison_PCAdvice 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What are you looking forward to today?
by Nancy Roussy
Self Development
2 seconds ago
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
1 minute 44 seconds ago
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
3 minutes 50 seconds ago
What's your Typical Daily Menu?
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
10 minutes 29 seconds ago
Did you dream last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
13 minutes 19 seconds ago
Taking stock of my year and a memory verse
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
43 minutes 47 seconds ago
Reduce Stress with an Instant Meditation Technique
by Susan Helene Kramer
Meditation
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!
by Susan Helene Kramer
Baptist
Yesterday at 09:46 PM
Doodling Spacecraft *new article*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Paper Crafts
Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Nancy Roussy), 97 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.