logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
I have been wanting to learn to sew to save money for years. What do I need to get started and do you suggest classes or learning on my own?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Now, I do not mean to burst any bubbles with this comment, but sewing is not exactly the answer to saving money. It used to be way back when, but now with how cheaply clothes and household decorations can be made through efficient manufacturing and with the increased prices of fabric, it isn't necessarily cheaper to make something over buying it already made.

I am a sewer myself (of mainly historical costumes/clothing) and am all for you learning to sew. But I just want to let you know that you will most likely need another motive other than saving money if you want to get started into this hobby.

My suggestion on where to start first is a library. My local library has a number of books for beginning sewers that have lots of pictures and helpful tips, from picking out a good machine, to what tools you need, to how to stitch those first stitches.

There are also some free videos online that teach you how to take your measurements and how to do some basics to start sewing. Go to ExpertVillage.com to see some.

If you don't learn well from a book with pictures (and with sewing it can sometimes be hard), you may want to look into classes. Check with your local fabric store to see if they offer any or if they know of any place that does. Or see if there is a local sewing machine repair store and they may also know.

Otherwise, I'm sure you could find classes online.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the sewing!

If you're ready to jump-start your sewing projects, learn helpful hints and tips, and have more fun in your historical sewing, then get your FREE sewing tips now at www.CloakAndCorset.com!
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
So true -- I don't sew to save money -- I do it to find something that fits and is unique to my personality. When you add in the word 'unique' you're automatically looking at interesting pricey fabrics.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I don't suggest classes -- you're adding on money spent for classes doing that.
I suggest going to the public library. There's tons of books there to sew anything you can think of.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
H
H
I have a different point of view. Whether you save money sewing depends on the kinds of clothes you're making instead of buying. I like nice clothes; I'm hooked on beautiful fabrics and fine workmanship which can get quite costly in ready-to-wear.

I have a wrap top on my website that I just made with a $3 remnant and a few hours work (of course I don't look at it as work because I love to sew!). You can't even get a top at Walmart for $3! I made a corduroy skirt, copying a $150 Theory design that I saw at Saks for about $6.

Of course there are times I splurge, like on a black cashmere knit ($50/yd.) to make a sweater coat (total cost about $150). But I love it and I know I'll wear it for at least a decade, if not more.

I'm a self taught seamstress and I believe in trial and error. Just try to cut down on the errors. It takes practice to be a good sewer. I suggest you start with a very simple design, maybe an a-line skirt with a waist facing instead of a waist band. Then take it one step at a time and go to the internet if you have questions. I'd be happy to answer any question!

Each time you make a new garment, try a new sewing technique, i.e. waistband, invisible zipper, inset sleeve, etc. Before you know it, you'll be sewing like a pro.

Also, set yourself up for success by choosing fabrics that are forgiving. If you make your skirt with a nubby tweed any little sewing mistakes will blend right in. Natural fibers are easiest to work with because they iron so nicely, half the battle to a professional sewing job.

Fit is always and issue with home sewing. Unless you're willing to get a book outlining patter alteration, I'd suggest purchasing a pattern according to your largest part (hip measurement or waist measurement for pants and skirts, bust measurement for dresses and blouses). Cut the fitting seams (usually the sideseams) 1" wider, then baste the garment together and try it on and adjust. Fitting as you go is the fastest way to a good fit. Or, make your garment out of practice fabric first, then transfer the alterations to the paper pattern. Again, make it easy on yourself at first and pick simple designs with few seams.

Good Luck and Happy Sewing!
Nancy, Your Devoted Sewist

To get started, all you need is a straight stitch sewing machine, either a zig-zag option on your machine or pinking shears to finish seams, chalk or a pen for marking, scissors, a ruler or tape measure, pins and needles--keep it simple and inexpensive at first.

S
S
Some fabric stores offer free or low cost classes for very basic things. You also get a chance to learn how to use a machine there, with help. I highly recommend taking a basic sewing class. If you know someone that sews they might be able to teach you some of the basics, but the classes are taught by people with lots of experience that know the machines really well, and all in all, are worth the cost.

I wish I would have taken the sewing classes in high school (or college?), but my basic knowledge and some practice projects worked for me. Make sure you get a seam ripper though...that first zipper will take a few tries without classes.

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.