Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
Since evolution is only a theory and some would say creationism is only a theory, then why would that be "stepping on toes"? If only evolution is taught is that not stepping on the toes of those who believe in creationism?

Okay, sorry, but I couldn't let this one slip past. Evolution is "only" a theory in the scientific sense, which means it has passed a rigorous standard of evidence supporting it. Creationism is more of a hypothesis, which is just "I think this might be the way of it, so now, how can I test it" stage. Scientific theory is not what most people mean, when they refer to something as being a theory.

If Creationism was taught in schools, I would feel it would ONLY fit in a religious category, not a scientific one. But Creationists tend to want it taught as a science, which doesn't fit the bill.

Then again, we would need to teach a multitude of creation beliefs, to be fair. Yes, Creationist Christians belief that theirs is the one true way life began on the planet, but others believe that their religious teachings are the way it is.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd

I meant from a Christian standpoint, why does the Big Bang Theory have to exclude God?

This is an interesting point since the first scientist to propose the Big Bang Theory was a priest.

Monsignor Georges Henri Joseph �douard Lema�tre developed the "hypothesis of the primeval atom" which later became known as The Big Bang Theory. Msgr. Lema�tre was a physicist and astronomer.

So, science and God are not incompatible.

Paula Laurita
Italian Food Editor
Lynn_B #497259 02/26/09 12:12 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Creationism is NOT a science. Also, I do not believe their is one widely agreed upon theory of Creationism. If we teach creation theory why should we limit it to just a christian based interpretation? Why not include the creation theories of all the other cultures and religions of the world both modern and ancient? Why not allow children to explore all the creation theories like those of the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Native American (all 500+ tribes), Buddist, Hindu, Muslim and so much more. If you are going to give children an option of what to believe why not expose them to All the ideas of the creation of humankind, the Earth and the Universe.

Craig58 #497328 02/26/09 09:27 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Craig58
If we teach creation theory why should we limit it to just a christian based interpretation? Why not include the creation theories of all the other cultures and religions of the world both modern and ancient?

Good point. I personally love reading about all the different creation stories (the Australian aborigines is one of the most beautiful in my opinion).

I get what you are saying though. If one is presented as a myth, then they all must be presented as a myth. Which would be very unsatisfactory for Christians. I think that would be worse than not presenting it at all.

The biggest problem I have with the Big Bang theory is that most schools do not present it as a theory they present it as fact. And at this point, we just do not have the scientific evidence to say "yes, for certain, this is how the Earth was created."

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Yes I meant "I" as in my belief. I believe that if evolutionism is taught in school, then the children should have the option of taking Creationism in school as well or instead of. Unfortunately that may never happen and how can we, as Christian parents, refute what a teacher teaches to our children? Do we tell them that teachers are misinformed and if we do that won't children second guess teachers on other things? That's why I don't talk to my kids about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, etc... because I don't want them second guessing me on Jesus when they get old enough to realize that Santa and the Easter Bunny are fake. Why would they believe me about Jesus if I lied to them about Santa?

Schools stay away from any form of Christianity as it is. One school that my children went to would not even allow green and red plates for Christmas parties and this is the same school that will not teach anything about Christianity but they taught them about the Muslim religion at Christmas time.

Please note that I am talking from a Christian standpoint and belief system and when I say "we", I mean Christian parents who feel the same way I do.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I often give a lot of thought to this subject and now think that the question of origins is an emotional issue intimately connected with personal belief structure. I read the post written by Craig58 and it makes a lot of sense. And everyone in this thread has some really good points to ponder.

This question has been an on-going debate since the late 1800's and there may never be an end to it.

The Native American tribes each have their own unique culture and Creation stories/beliefs and there are over 500 tribes, as Craig58 pointed out. Within each tribe or nation of the Native Americans, there are divisions of even more clans and beliefs - there are probably over 1000 Creation teachings here. Why should we not teach each one of these over 1000 or so origin stories? That would be extremely time-consuming in the educational system.

I think that the best thing to do is not to teach either the theory of evolution or creationism in public schools and leave it up to each individual family, church, religion, organization, to teach their children the way of their own beliefs. Neither thought process belongs in the public shcools. There are Christian schools that have excellent curriculums with Christian belief teachings, there are schools and institutions for peoples of other faiths/beliefs.

Public schools should be free of all religion based teachings and theories about evolution (since it contradicts creationism). Public schools do not have the moral right to allow one form of religious belief and deny others - that is wrong, very wrong.

"how can we, as Christian parents, refute what a teacher teaches to our children? Do we tell them that teachers are misinformed and if we do that won't children second guess teachers on other things? That's why I don't talk to my kids about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, etc... because I don't want them second guessing me on Jesus when they get old enough to realize that Santa and the Easter Bunny are fake. Why would they believe me about Jesus if I lied to them about Santa?" - by Vance

Very good point, Vance. Thank you.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 02/26/09 01:01 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
[quote=Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd
The biggest problem I have with the Big Bang theory is that most schools do not present it as a theory they present it as fact. And at this point, we just do not have the scientific evidence to say "yes, for certain, this is how the Earth was created." [/quote]

I totally agree with this, Michelle. Far too many "assumptions" are taught to our children as "facts". Yet, since this seems to be an accepted policy in the educational system, it is up to us as responsible parents and grandparents to teach our children what we believe to be the truth. Our children will grow up and continue this debate for generations to come - so it is critical that we give them an open mind and what we feel or know to be truth.

With my Christian upbringing and Native American beliefs, I will never believe any big bang created life than slowly turned into human form. That is far to sci-fi for me.

I believe Ms. A has a good point: Creationism should be taught in a religious course. We should have a course on Religions Of The World.

However, forget teaching evolution entirely unless it becomes a known fact, which I do not believe it ever will be.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 02/26/09 01:15 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
T
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
T
Fact: a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true.

There are a few different definitions for Fact. This is the one I like best.

Big bang is only thought to be true. It is not a fact. That being said most textbooks twist up many other "facts" as well.

Look through your childrens books for yourselves and you will be surprised at what you find.

You can also visit Fox and Friends for a list of the textbooks found thus far that are inaccurate.

Sadly, if you want your children to put creationism above the big bang then you are the one on who the responsibility falls.

Trina Miller
School Reform
Parakeet
Parakeet
Evolution is Science. It is an essential factor in the development of all life on Earth. There is significant evidence to support the existance of evolution. Evolution is not just about the prehistoric past, it is also an ongoing natural process that exists even today. You would be hard pressed to find a scientist, especially a scientist from the fields of biology, zoology or genetics, that does do believe in the existance of Evolution. There is more and more evidence being discovered each year that supports Evolution as a process of life on Earth. Today scientists are using genetics, DNA research, to discover our evolutionary past. There are even new books that have been published by leading scientists in the field of DNA genetics research on this subject.

Do we want our children not to learn the scientific information that is taught in the rest of the world? Do we want the future of our country to become ignorant of what the rest of the world knows? Do we want the rest of the world to surpass us in the sciences of biology, genetics and much more?

Let us teach our children a variety of religious and cultural explainations for the creation of the Universe, the Earth and humankind in classes on culture, religion, sociology or even anthropolgy. However, let them learn evolution in science class.

Also, many scientists that believe strongly in evolution also believe strongly in their own religious faith.

Craig58 #497827 02/27/09 03:55 AM
T
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
T

The bottom line here is that in America there are 2 equally accepted theories of creation.
(Two that are most recognized.)

While it would seem that both would be taught...even if referred to as two unproven and widely debated theories...we are naive to ever think that will happen.

Be sure that you will need to teach your children creationism in your own home, on your own time. Otherwise I recommend a christian school.

I will admit agreement with Craig that we should learn all possibilities and probabilities. You can call it science, religion or dance class if you like. What ever you may call it, be sure to call it.

Here is my final word:
Your children will be taught evolution. Even if you never step foot in a church, your child will hear about creationism. Children talk, teachers talk. Both theories will be present in the child old enough to study such a subject.

Not discussing your theory of choice with your children is comparable to not discussing drugs.
If you don't tell them where your values lie on the subjects then you can expect them to choose one on their own. Usually the one most pressed on them by friends, teachers, or books.

Debates are caused by a clash between what your mind thinks is right, and what your heart feels is right.

Learning doesn't stop when the bell rings. There are things we must teach our children that will not be taught in school. If you don't teach them, someone will. It just may not be the lesson you wanted them to learn.

Science causes the greatest amount of debate and controversy in people.
It turns out that such disagreement is a good thing. We study more to prove ourselves.
Science is what made America reign over all other countries because of the tremendous amount of talent we had to offer. (Economically Speaking.)

We no longer hold that ranking. There are many explanations, excuses and fingers pointing to the problem.

I say there is no profit in debating the problem. We must use our energy to find the solution.

Remember this:
A student 3 countries over knows that Americans are taught evolution and argue over creationism.
Ask an American student what that student 3 countries over believes and studies.

The answer is the reason Americans rank 18 out of 24 nations in education.

Trina Miller
School Reform
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.