Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
hoaxie #459910 10/16/08 01:35 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Sorry, Hoaxie - I should have been more clear, I worded it badly...

I meant from a Christian standpoint, why does the Big Bang Theory have to exclude God?

I understand why it does from the scientific viewpoint. I just don't understand why so many Christians feel that God and science can't go together.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
That makes a lot more sense. smile

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
hoaxie #468128 11/13/08 08:14 PM
C
Shark
Shark
C
"I am a Christian so I believe Creationism should be taught in school." Per Vance, 9-19-08

To me, believing in or not believing in Creationism does not define a Christian. It does not necessarily follow that, because someone is a Christian, they believe in Creationism. There are plenty of good Christians who think that God worked via evolution.

I think probably the only indisputable "so" statement one can make about being a Christian is, "I am a Christian, so, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God."

cela
cela #468138 11/13/08 08:46 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Most Christians that believe in evolution (that I have met), believe in the type of evolution that I do - the evolution of man from Homo-habilis to modern Homo-sapiens; not believing that we ever had anything of monkey or something that swam in the ocean in our past genes.

So it is kind of a hybrid of Creationism and Evolution. The earth and humans were created by God - but there has been evolution ever since.

I guess the way I've always looked at it is this: God gave us the gift - and we have chosen what to do with it, so that has determined how everything on this planet has changed and evolved.

Maybe we could take Vance's statement and put the emphasis on the "I". (It is so hard to know where a person's speech inflections are on the web!)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Great subject and first I want to clarify that I home school but I am just wondering if you wanted creationism taught instead of evolution wouldn't that step on toes of everyone else ? For example we fall into the category of wiccan/pagan but as a parent I personally do not mind anything christian or other religion related ideas taught to my child. I feel like the more knowledge he has of the world as a whole the better off he is. I am wondering why so many do not want evolution taught in school, if creationism was taught, I look at it as a perfect opportunity to start and have good conversations with my son.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Since evolution is only a theory and some would say creationism is only a theory, then why would that be "stepping on toes"? If only evolution is taught is that not stepping on the toes of those who believe in creationism?

Personally, I do not feel evolution, in the way Darwin believed, should be taught in schools since it has never been proven. But, if one theory is to be taught, they both should so students have a broader view point to choose from.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Phyllis, Thanks for making me clarify it more, I always think everyone understands what I am actually thinking, hahahahaha.

Ok in my opinion, and of course it could be wrong smile

Evolution is more of a science based subject and
Creationism is more of a religious based subject and that is what I meant by it could step on toes.

Thanks for that clarification. You are right in what the two are based on. But, regardless of what they are based on, I believe that since they are opposing, they should both be taught mainly for the reason that it does raise questions and promotes debates and that in itself would be good experience for students to learn from.

Theories are based on assumptions and probabilities. Personally, I believe in creationism, which is more logical to me. But, as Buddha said: "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Originally Posted By: CrochetQueen
For example we fall into the category of wiccan/pagan but as a parent I personally do not mind anything christian or other religion related ideas taught to my child. I feel like the more knowledge he has of the world as a whole the better off he is. I am wondering why so many do not want evolution taught in school, if creationism was taught, I look at it as a perfect opportunity to start and have good conversations with my son.

Good thoughts, CrochetQueen. I always tried to open up my children's minds to the world and all available for them to learn and they in turn are very open with their children. I believe we should offer our children all sides, not just one.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Originally Posted By: ChelleLaunch&Spirituality
Most Christians that believe in evolution (that I have met), believe in the type of evolution that I do - the evolution of man from Homo-habilis to modern Homo-sapiens; not believing that we ever had anything of monkey or something that swam in the ocean in our past genes.

So it is kind of a hybrid of Creationism and Evolution. The earth and humans were created by God - but there has been evolution ever since.

I guess the way I've always looked at it is this: God gave us the gift - and we have chosen what to do with it, so that has determined how everything on this planet has changed and evolved.

Maybe we could take Vance's statement and put the emphasis on the "I". (It is so hard to know where a person's speech inflections are on the web!)

I so agree with this, Michelle. Thank you.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.