Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#452617 09/15/08 05:56 PM
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
My two granddaughters told me they don't have art in school. Do your children have art classes in their schools.?

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Whenever the school budget gets cut, art is the first thing to go. Sad but true.

I don't know how people expect to raise creative thinkers without art, not to mention if you live in a culture you should know something about it.

Basically school administrators look at the art class as providing 2 services:
1. A free, planning period for the "regular" teachers.
2 A source of decorations for bulletin boards and school plays.

Parents think of art class with as much value as sandbox or recess. They certainly don't want their child wanting to grow up to be a "starving artist."

As a former art teacher I've been dealing with this attitude for a long time.

My children had a Phys. Ed teacher teaching art in their elementary school! "What difference does it make, it's not like it's an important class!"

I could go on at length, but I start to get very irate.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Oh my gosh, Helen really? I think art is one of the most important things in school. Creative thinking is what starts businesses, they are the people that can run companies, inspire others AND change the world.

I'm as irate as you are. Luckily our school district has a well rounded art and music program.

Signed creative thinker...freelance writer and certainly not starving!

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Creative thinking develops the right brain, so in cutting out art (creative thinking) from an education program is essentially cutting a complete development of growing young people's minds. As educators, to make that decision to cut out art is to make the decision to cut off brain development - sinful. frown

F
F
There are some schools which does take the art class off from the syllabus... i was very fond of Acting and I wanted to get into film industry... But I never got enough encouragement from my school, so after the completion of my school studies I have joined a film acting school which is awesome and I am enjoying and learning all the new techniques and skills of film making...

Last edited by BellaOnline; 02/01/09 02:07 PM.
Amoeba
Amoeba
Helen,

They had a P.E. Teacher teaching art? Oh wow that's a first. When I was attending elementary school, fine art was the first class to go then came music. It was a sad day because I love the arts and still do. It would be wonderful if art could be strongly appreciated like it once did...

People need a release for their emotions and one way to achieve this is to instill the importance of the creative side, beginning at an early age of development.

A world without art would be sad indeed. Art is just as important as the basic curriculum and should become part of the basics. A child needs to learn how to express themselves emotionally and there is no finer way to do this than art and writing.

When my children were in grade school, the teachers often had the students draw a picture of their home and family. This would tell the teachers a lot about the child's emotional health as well as their artistic ability.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 01/08/09 05:38 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hi Phyllis. Thank God they haven't taken that out of my children's schools. For a while there we parents fought the idea of decreasing gym (physical fitness) time but I don't know what is happening in our schools. Some of them seem to be becoming very prison like.

Art was my outlet in school. I put all of my emotions and frustrations into art and music (being an avid woodwind player). I hope you can rekindle the desire for your grandchildren through alternative ways. wink

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is a real shame, to have art removed for students. I know several people who THRIVE doing graphic design. It is a definite skill set that we need in this world and that people should have access to as much as math and science and other areas.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
I do a little sketching once in awhile and I did one of Jesus in graphite with hills, trees and a dove behind Him. My grandson loved it so much that I gave it to him. He keeps it on the wall above his bed. He now draws quite often in his down times. I gave him some sketch pads and pencils and he loves to draw. I hope he keeps his interest in this.

The school my grandson in now in (last year in grade school) encourages artistic talent. I just hope the middle school he will be going to next year will have art classes.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 02/08/09 10:07 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.