Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#452598 09/15/08 05:26 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Do you block a sweater before you assemble it, after you assemble it or not at all???

I'm curious.

See a related article for the pros and cons of all methods.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
MargeKnits #453083 09/17/08 09:53 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I did my first baby sweater this summer and blocked it after assembly. It turned out great. But before I start any larger projects, especially with natural fibers, I need to find out if blocking before assembly would work best. Thanks for any tips and techniques!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I think blocking before makes the assembly much easier. You can make the seams uniform and unroll the edges which makes seaming smoother.

With natural fibers follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding blocking. If you aren't sure whether they can take water, heat or steam, practice with your swatch.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
MargeKnits #453450 09/18/08 01:50 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for that advice Marge! I'm a beginner at knitting and can use all the tips and techniques I can get my hands on. I've looked through all my books and the information on blocking is a bit vague and scarce. Maybe you could do a new topic specifically on blocking techniques and tips. That would surely help all of us "newbies" to the "needles."
Thanks again.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I'm one of those knitters who will go to any lengths to avoid sewing up. So I alter flat knitting patterns so they can be knit in the round and then, when I'm done knitting, I simply wash the sweater and block it on a wooley horse.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I've added a Blocking article to the list of what I should write about. In the meantime though the previous Bella knitting editor wrote this article.

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 09/23/08 12:09 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Llyn #453543 09/18/08 08:37 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I used a wooly board for the first time last month and I'm a believer.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
MargeKnits #454275 09/23/08 11:58 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the link to the blocking article. It certainly provided a lot more detail for me.
So here's my next "newbie" question.
What is a wooly board (horse)? And how do you use one?
Thanks again for all the info.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Here is a sweater I have on a wooly board QV on board

It stretches the finished sweater and sleeves simultaneously without pinning. Works very nicely, but is a bit tricky to use, but once you get the hang of it worh it.

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 09/23/08 12:09 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
MargeKnits #454963 09/26/08 09:44 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
It's a bit early for me this morning, and I want to make certain I have this correct. For a sweater -
You block your pieces, then join them. Then put them on the wooly board. Do you wash or wet the item again and let it dry on the wooly board, or just leave it on the board to hang for a while? Thanks for your help

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake. When you use a wooly board, or at least when I did. I assembled my vest, then put it on the wooly board, stretched to the size I wanted. It hangs on the board taunt. It smooths out the stitches and made it look "finished".

When I don't use a wooly board, I block my pieces then assemble them.

I hope that is clearer (it is early here too!)

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 09/26/08 11:56 AM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
MargeKnits #455081 09/26/08 06:27 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks so much for the clarification! I'm going to ask my Mother-in-law about using one. She's an expert and I can't wait until our visit with her next month. We actually added an extra day to our trip so she can give me some knitting instruction. I think she may be more excited than I am. She really doesn't have anyone in the family to pass these skills onto, as her Mother and Grandmother did. I'm so fortunate to be the lucky one to receive them. I'm just hoping I don't return home with more questions than answers for y'all to help me sort out smile

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Questions are always always always welcome. It is how these forums work.

Have a great visit, but ask questions whenever you need to.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.