logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#451317 09/10/08 01:13 PM
OP Offline
hi all , i am new to this site and new to spinning. i have an ashford traveller, which i am spinning (reasonably successful) on. my question is which whorl should i have the drive band on? i was able to spin a full bobbin yesterday, but i discovered that as the bobbin filled, i had to treadle faster and faster to get the twist right. i am using the largest whorl. i hope someone can help as i am not physically near anyone who knows how to use a wheel. thanks much, myra

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
myra, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay.
"Rosie"

Rosie L
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hi Myra,

The flyer whorls are different sizes. Which one you use depends on how much twist you want in your yarn.

It works like this: Every time you treadle, the drive wheel turns once and the flyer turns X number of times and each time the flyer turns it puts that number of twists into your yarn. So, If your flyer turns 10 times every time the drive wheel turns once, then 10 twists will go into the yarn. This is the ratio of your wheel. If you draft 1" of yarn each time you treadle, you will have yarn spun at 10 twists per inch.

Now, each flyer whorl has a different diameter so your wheel has 2 different ratios. The larger the diameter of the whorl, the less twists go to the yarn; the smaller the diameter the more twists go into the yarn.

Here's how to find your ratios: Tie a sting around one flyer arm and another around one spoke of your wheel. Line things up so both strings are marking the 12:00 position. Slowly turn your drive wheel and count the number of times the flyer arm string goes past the 12:00 position until the marked drive wheel spoke is back to the 12:00 position. That will tell you the ratio for that particular whorl. Then move the drive band and do the same for the other whorl.

But it sounds to me like you need to adjust the tension of your wheel as the bobbin fills. This is normal. Simply adjust the tension (tighten it) in small increments as the bobbin fills and all should be well no matter which ratio whorl you are using.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
OP Offline
hi llyn, thank you so much for getting back to me. i am working on getting this issue resolved, looks like you were correct about tension. thanks again, myra

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
You're welcome smile

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.