logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shark
Shark
Yup, I'm right in there with you! My spouse doesn't get it at all, and I end up feeling belittled by what I do.

But I do take time to create, and time goes buy so quickly when I do. I am at peace and it soothes the soul when I paint. It's using a different part of the brain, and I find it like meditating.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Gecko
Gecko
S
A few years back I went to a gallery in Cleveland that sold all hand made ceremonial art pieces by an artist that used to be a college administrator until she had a a serious accident in life and went blind. She struggled to get her health back and did eventually get her eye site back, and did so through Shaminism medicine. But through the process she learned that she was not to return to her college administrator job, but was lead through the spirit world to produce art only from dead remnants that she found in her walks and journeys around the world and beads to which she collected that she was lead to by spirit. Her story is much more fascinating than I'm portraying here. In her shamantic journey she was given the power to see spirits and auras. When I walked into her gallery she immediately walked up to me and said, "You have the most magnificient lavender light spewing off the top of your head." "You are an artist." She then asked to see my hands. I said I sometimes don't feel like I have a choice about what I'm working on. She said, "You don't - the spirit world works through you and chooses for you what painting you will work on and they work through you hands. Your hands are their vehicle. You have no choice but to paint." She stared at me with her steel black eyes, with her jet black hair and it sent chills up my spine. I have tried to honor the spirit world since that day and leave a blank canvas up for when spiritual inspiration hits, I'm ready. When I once was working on an angel painting my family and I heard a loud thud upstairs in the art room. We all ran up there to see what had happened. When we got there the large jade tree that was sitting on the floor behind the canvas had been picked up and moved from behind the canvas and dropped into the center of the room 6 feet away (weighing about 60 lbs). (I have 2 witnesses.) Still haven't figured that one out.

I get a tremendous amount of support from my husband when it comes to my art. He really encourages me to paint and gives me a lot of useful tips and on my paintings as I go. I think if I was blown off by him it would really be hard to justify my art sometimes so I understand what you guys are saying about feeling validated. He is in a high paced, high stressed job and a lot of times I feel silly asking him if he likes the "eyes" on my painting, but he appreciates being able to slow things down and turn off the high pressure of his other life and be able to walk into the Art World with me.

If you can't find validation in one place, there are always other places for validation of your creativity, like fellow artists, always fellow artists. Artists tend to understand each other because we understand why we have to create.

Carol - I agree with you said about when you paint it's like you're meditating. I put on new age music and before I know it hours have gone by and I have no sense of where I am, who I am - I'm just lost inside the canvas. That's meditating.

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 07/11/08 12:09 PM.
S
S
good story!

S
S
IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO OPEN UP TO THIS SPIRITUAL INSPIRATION I FEEL THAT WHEN I AM ENGAGED IN MY CRAFT I AM TRYING TO EXPRESS SOMETHING INSIDE MY SOUL THAT I DON"T QUITE UNDERSTAND

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Do finances repress your creativity?

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yes, sometimes, but only in so far as I may not have the EXACT item I want to work with. But after crafting for sooo many years, there's almost always a suitable substitute around here, somewhere.

I think that repression of creativity occurs for most people as children. Parents and schools frown on the possibility that a child is heading for a life as a "starving artist" rather than someone who will "get a good job."I posted a rant on this topic earlier in this forum, see it here.

The best thing we can do for continuing creativity is to provide positive feedback and lots of raw materials for children to create with. I like printer paper, or even brown bags, and crayons, so much more than coloring books. If you have no idea what a child has drawn, don't ask what it is. Comment on an interesting line or shape, or wonderful color, and let them tell you about it. Keep your fridge covered in a constantly updated "gallery" of their work, proudly posted. Frame a particularly beautiful "scribble design" and hang it in the living room. Like the saying says, children learn what they live.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.