Why oh why do people do it? I'm talking about getting large group embroidery projects together, but not making sure that all of those involved can actually get all of the items needed?

I'm involved in a group project, which I am really loving, but the organiser decided to use Madeira silk (which I don't like at all - but that's another story) which is very easy to get for her, but for those of us outside Sydney can be hard. There is only one store in Brisbane (where I live) that stocks it (and it's similar in most of the other capital cities in Austraila).

So - I ring the store to find out if they have in stock what I'm after. A total of 5 colours, and total of 15 skeins. Girl on the phone assures me they have plenty, but she will put aside what I want. I was pleased, as the store is on the other side of Brisbane - 25 kilometers from where I live and I didn't want a wasted trip. Added to this, I don't particularly like this store either - mostly because I feel that they overprice a lot of things.

So - off I go on my 50K round trip to get thread. I arrive and then have to wait for 20 minutes before getting served as the one person serving was doing something with ribbon (not sure what - but it involved just measuring it......). I wasn't even acknowledged after a "you'll have to wait for me" comment.

When I was finally served, I discovered that the items hadn't been put aside for me, and I was waved vaguely in the direction of where the threads were to find them myself. Threads aren't really on easy display - they're on racks that slide out of a wall - and when you slide the rack out, it blocks the very narrow walkway.

Of the colours I was looking for (black, white, blue, yellow and red) they had....... blue.

Went back to the counter - thinking that perhaps they had some more stock in the back. Another 10 minute wait, and was told no - that was all they had. But they could, for a small fee, order what I wanted in.

I told them no and walked out, vowing never to go back.

In the end, I managed to mail order what I needed from Perth (other side of the country) - and the total cost, plus postage, is less than what I would have paid locally (if they had the items in stock).

The other shock I got in this was in trying to mail order. The price that some places wanted to charge for postage was outrageous! One wanted to charge $11.00 postage for 15 skeins of thread! I rang and asked, and was told that $11 was their minimum postage charge, no matter what you bought.

Postage from where I got it: $2

I must admit, it's really made me think about projects that I want to organse - to ensure that everybody can get the thread, or arrange that I will provide all thread, etc., and you pay for what you need.

Rant over!!!

Megan McConnell