BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hey Trish!

Just got through reading your article:
The Four Directions

East and South (Spring and Summer) seemed to make perfect sense to me (a non-practitioner). Everything just kind of lined up and seemed to "logically" go together. Like if someone gave me a test - I would automaticall put those things together.

But I was kind of surprised at West and North (Autumn and Winter). The direction correspondence still seemed to go together; but I would have thought Autumn went with Earth, and browns and black. And then Winter went with water and blues and purple.

I guess because I always think of autumn as a very "earthy" time - a time of harvest, and things turning brown. And winter makes me think of snow - and blue and purple seem like icy colors.

Why are these two reversed like that?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Michelle,

Thanks for taking time out to read my article. I have actually drawn from several traditions to give people an idea of what is available. I've borrowed from western magical tradition, mainly the Golden Dawn system but some may feel uncomfortable with some of the Judeo-Christian symbolism used with that.

So, I've also drawn from my experience with goddess spirituality groups and Native American inspired groups. From that perspective, I've learned that autumn is seen as a time of a winding down transition into darkness, and so if you connect it with the emotional aspect it makes sense that it would seem like a "watery" time.

The winter is seen as apparently stagnant and therefore more earthy (as in stable). However, that doesn't mean the earth is dead. The browns and blacks that I mention not only represent the divine mystery but also the life that is underground waiting to be reborn.

But you are right. I believe there are traditions that may reverse this (maybe some Wiccan ones but don't quote me) as it feels more intuitive for them. Some change around the swords and wands of the tarot to different directions.

What I've presented is just the tip of the iceberg as far as correspondences are concerned. That's why I encourage solitaries to understand traditional systems but ultimately to listen to their own intuition.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 09/03/08 09:39 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I also loved your article Trish! Working with the directions is something I'm really getting into now. I want to make a mandala based on the Irish Spirit Wheel, and hang it in my home - I'm just trying to figure out how to get it started HA HA.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thank you Deanna. That sounds like it will be gorgeous and inspirational. Can you explain more about the Irish Spirit Wheel?

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love using the directions and seasons for creating balance, it alos reminds me of Feng Shui. In that certain directions resonate with certain elements.

I always try to make sure there is something of each element in each room.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Trish,

I really enjoyed your article.

I have always used the Four Directions in my prayers of thanks or requests and focus on the direction in which my greatest need at the time lies, so I relate to your information strongly.

In the Native American belief the meanings of the directions are similar to what you give, with the colors a little different. I will someday soon release the article I have been working on with tons of notes and thoughts. So, I am always happy to know that other beliefs and cultures give the same note of importance and respect to the Four Directions. It is interesting and encouraging.

Reading your article was a great way for me to start my day - thank you.

Last edited by Phyllis, BellaEd; 09/18/08 11:11 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Originally Posted By: Bella_Deanna
I also loved your article Trish! Working with the directions is something I'm really getting into now. I want to make a mandala based on the Irish Spirit Wheel, and hang it in my home - I'm just trying to figure out how to get it started HA HA.

Deanna, I just ordered the book of "The Celtic Way Of Seeing, Meditations On The Irish Spirit Wheel" . I am looking forward to making myself a Spirit Wheel. I also have a Native American Medicine wheel I am working on to complete. This article of Trish's has renewed my motivation to get moving on these.

Wow! this thread has really given my morning a bright beginning!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Phyllis,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the article. When I first started exploring Paganism many years ago, I was involved with groups that were inspired by Native American spirituality that worked with the four directions. It was a beautiful system.

It's fascinating because it can be different depending on the tradition, tribe, culture, etc. involved but all are a way to honor the connectedness of all things.

I look forward to your article.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.