logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I believe most of you have tried Chinese food. But I�m not sure whether you like it. Actually I don�t believe the restaurants outside China may make the real Chinese food with the real taste. The traditional cuisine in China even changed as time passing by. We could often hear old people complaining about the typical taste of old times had gone. Anyway, the following article quoted from my website is the introduction of Chinese Imperial Food, one of the most famous and important categories of Chinese food. Since it has a long history, it also contains cultural taste.

The History of Chinese Imperial Food

Chinese imperial food dates back to slave society. Ever since there were emperors and palaces, there has been imperial food, which was served mainly to the emperors, their wives and concubines, and the royal families. Emperors used their power to collect the best delicacies and called upon the best cooks to make delicious food for them. Imperial food represented a dynasty�s best cuisine.

Although imperial food was made exclusively for the royal family, generals, ministers, and nobility, it was the peasants, herders, and fishermen who provided the raw materials, craftsmen who made the kitchen utensils, the cooking staff who provided the service, civil officials who named the dishes and protocol officials who drafted the dietary and culinary rules. Imperial food comprised the dietetic culture of the Chinese palaces and it is part of China�s valuable cultural heritage.

Chinese imperial food originated around the Zhou Dynasty (11th century B.C. � 476 B.C.). Although China�s dietetic culture developed and grew prior to the Zhou Dynasty, it truly flourished during the Zhou, Qin, and Han dynasties (1122 B.C. � 220).

During the Zhou Dynasty, Chinese imperial cuisine took shape. Staple and non-staple foods were plentiful and many imperial and famous dishes were developed. A complete organization was responsible for the imperial food served in the Zhou Dynasty palace; it included a large staff and a clear division of labor, including chief cook, internal cooks, external cooks, assistants, nutritionists, wine officers. Altogether, there were 22 departments with more than 2,300 staff.

During the Han and Wei Dynasties (206 B.C. � A. D. 265), imperial food and drink followed the system initiated in the Zhou Dynasty. By this time China�s strengthened economy and its cultural exchanges with other countries had provided new sources of raw materials, better cooking utensils and cooking skills, wider adoption of ironware, and higher standards for imperial dishes.

Stir-frying was the chief cooking method during the Southern and Northern Dynasties (A.D. 420 - 589), and stir-fried dishes became popular as everyday meals among the common people. Buddhism was spreading in China by this time, and vegetarian dishes began appearing because the Buddhist monks ate vegetarian food. In response to the demand for vegetarian dishes, the cooks of Emperor Wu of the Liang Dynasty (502 -557) introduced the use of gluten.

The technique of using fermentation to make staple foods, such as steamed buns, stuffed buns, and steamed cakes, which are still popular foods today, was already being used in the final years of the Han Dynasty. Other staple foods were baked cakes and noodles.

The imperial food of the Sui, Tang, and Song Dynasties (581 - 1279) followed the system and rules of preceding dynasties, but the varieties of food and meal procedures changed tremendously. During Yang Di�s reign in the Sui Dynasty (enthroned 605 - 618), seafood appeared much more frequently on imperial menus.

The characteristics, habits, and customs surrounding food in the Southern and Northern Dynasties and in the Sui and Tang Dynasties belong to the same period. There were also similarities in the imperial food prepared and served in the Song and Yuan Dynasties (960 - 1368). And, there is almost no difference between the food of the Ming and Qing Dynasties (1368 - 1911) and the food served today.

People in the Qing Dynasty treasured shark�s fin and edible bird�s nest, which are indispensable ingredients at modern, opulent banquets. These two foods were brought into China from Southeast Asia in the early years of the Ming Dynasty when the eunuch, Zheng He, returned from there. During the middle period of the Qing Dynasty, edible bird�s nest and shark�s fin headed the menus at extravagant banquets. Sea cucumbers and prawns are native to China, but only became imperial dishes much later.

As cities and towns began to develop and thrive, cooking became a commercial activity and many restaurants were opened. Some cooks freed themselves from their slave status of serving the royal family and nobility by becoming independent laborers who sold their cooking skills. Many famous cooks and chefs emerged, among them Song Wusao in the Southern Song Dynasty and Wang Eryu in the Qing Dynasty.

To some extent peoples� food and drink are influenced by regional divisions, but the primary influences are peoples� income, education, culture, and religious beliefs. For these reasons, China developed several dietetic cultures. These include the imperial, aristocratic, literati, market, and temple cuisines. Especially during the Ming and Qing Dynasties, imperial food and drink were closely tied to preserving health, which led to the development of unique imperial food.

welcome to www.artstates.com

a wonderful state of antique Chinese artworks!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: artstates
I believe most of you have tried Chinese food. But I�m not sure whether you like it. Actually I don�t believe the restaurants outside China may make the real Chinese food with the real taste.

I believe that would depend on which restaraunt you went to.

I have been to many "Americanized" restaraunts that are not as good. But our favorite Chinese restaraunt is a local one called "Golden Buddha" that is family owned and passed down through several generations. It is wonderful.

Yes, they do have some dishes on their menu that are not classical Chinese fare, but that is because they are operating in America and you'll often have a group come in where 1 or 2 people in the group won't eat something that has veggies in that aren't deep fried (especially here in the South!) grin

But we have gotten to know the owners over the years, and they have steered us towards the more authentic foods, and more "adventuresome" fare.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
S
Shark
Shark
S
I think going to a busy large buffet is the best way to learn about Chinese food. You can sample lots of different things. If they are busy the food won't sit too long.

S
S
I do not know what kind of Chinese restaurants you have in Missouri. Our chinese restaurants are in NY and NJ. Most people are from China or Hong Kong. Yes they are stir fry and wonderful.Ask them not to add any sugar. Do not order any food with the deep fried breading. That is very bad for your heart and Cholesterol levels - Meat, small amount of rice and lots of vegetables!

R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
"Moon's Mongolian Grill & Lounge" is the best restaurant in Spokane (city where I live), where I have found great Chinese food ever.

Manchurian & snoodles are my favorite Chinese dishes.

Last edited by Jeanne Daigle; 01/03/09 03:39 PM.
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I enjoy the Chinese buffets myself because you do get to sample many different things. Some dishes they warn you are hot and spicy but are not hot and spicy at all. If I was ordering out, then my favorite is the Kung Po chicken but I have to order it without peanuts. I hate peanuts in my food.

Also, I have never been to a Chinese buffet that serves Kung Po chicken. Why is that? The closest thing they have for that is the General Tso's chicken.

I too have often heard that Chinese food in America is not the same chinese food in China. I think it has to do with the types of cats they use. lol.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
S
Shark
Shark
S
Vance, maybe they don't cook the Kung Po because it's so spicey and won't get eaten. It's those red peppers that give it the kick. Singapore Rice Noodles are really good with shrimp and pot stickers. (drooling)

O
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
O
The real Chinese food it's not the same like we've been eating in USA. they already adjust the taste and flavor so it would fit with western style so we all can consume it. The traditional Chinese cuisine are really complicated to prepare, so many diversity. Every region has their own specialty in ingredients and cooking style. I Love Chinese foods, I tried the real Chinese food when I went to China, it had more flavor and herbs that might kind of odd for some people but i love odd stuff.

Shark
Shark
My favorite Chinese cuisine is Dim Sum. BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

P
P
it is real delicious..

sit down and google some recipe smile

star trek voyager, star trek series..my favor tv shows,HOHO~~www.dvdsetshop.com
R
Parakeet
Parakeet
R
You are right - I have eaten Chine food cooked in American restaurants - but not real Chinese food in or from China itself.

But - I love what I am eating.

Robin Rounds Whittemore, Fragrance Editor
Fragrance Website
Fragrance Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lila_Chinese_Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.